first water drop...

racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in Holy Macro
Be gentle this was my first time trying to do the whole water drop thing and i have some questions, first how can i use auto focus because i do not have the best of eyes and how does everyone get the whole thing in focus...thanks

Please leave some C&C...

18.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    NOt bad at all !
    Assume you are using flash, camera in manual and on a tripod. with remote ?
    Try using a smaller aperture for more DOF eg F16- F22 on a Nikon as well as a lower shooting angle.
    Most people rig up a drip system so it falls in the same place. This then means you can put something like a cocktail stick across the container where the drops are hitting and then prefocus on this with the lens in MF and then leave the focus alone - obviously remove the stick when doing the shots.

Brian V.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Good advice from Brian. I also try to use a longer lens toi zoom in rather than a close up lens where Depthn of Field becomes a greater issue.
    The lower angle is useful, too...the drops are pretty much vertical, and if you have a high PoV, then you will be needing a greater DoF...
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Brian as always hit it on target with the focus.
    I've been looking at some tutorials on this, and they usually crop in pp for dof, and they use a high contrast pen tip to prefocus.

i've seen a commercial for a new bottled water additive that comes in cool colors, and looks heavier than water, planning on trying to find some and have a go using that for my drops. will let you know what the product is if i find it.

good start, i hope mine come out as good.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com