f/1.4 question for Nikon kit upgrade

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in Cameras
I'm starting to look at a 50mm f/1.4 to add to my kit. I currently have a D90 and toy with the idea of moving FF to the D700 so that's in the mix for consideration....

What are the differences between the Nikon f/1.4 "D" and the Nikon f/1.4 "G" AF-S? From what I understand, the D doesn't have the internal focus motor, which doesn't matter with either the D90 or D700. But I've read the AF-S version is considerably faster on focus.

Are there significant differences to be considered?
Is there really a 'preference' of one over the other and which would it be?

Thanks-

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Say what? Considerably FASTER? That would be backwards. In general, Nikon AF-S primes are slightly slower than the equivalent AF-D primes. HOWEVER, they are notably more accurate and more consistent. (There's a difference between those two terms.)

I would hands-down recommend the AFS version if you've got the money; it is sharper and silent and has a simplicity of operation that the AFD lenses just don't have.

Having said that, the AFD version and even the older AF version (non-D) are great tools, and if I had to I could rock a job with one no problem. So the question is simply, how much will you use this lens, and how much do you want to invest in it?

Personally, I'd rather have a great 35 and 85 and a cheap 50, but that's just my personal style as a portrait and event photographer....

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Thanks Matt....

I have an older Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 that I can't find a series listed on it anywhere. I suppose I can pop that on my D90 and see what it does. As for use, I'm not a professional so no specific uses planned other than crisp images, shallow DOF and low light capabilities.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    also the G veriosn has a 9 blade aperture which is bit more circular then the D version..slightly more pleasing bokeh
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Thanks Matt....

I have an older Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 that I can't find a series listed on it anywhere. I suppose I can pop that on my D90 and see what it does. As for use, I'm not a professional so no specific uses planned other than crisp images, shallow DOF and low light capabilities.
    Sounds like for your use, the 50mm f/1.8 you have laying around will work great, long enough for you to decide whether or not you want to treat yourself to a new 50 1.4 AFS sometime down the road. Honestly though, it won't improve your photography much. The biggest improvement will come from mastering that equipment, and understanding exactly how to make it do what you want it to. In other words, even though there might be a noticeable difference in the autofocus performance (accuracy and consistency) of a 50mm f/1.8 versus f/1.4 AFS, it will take a lot of mastery for you to utilize that difference / advantage...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I'm gonna recommend the 50 1.4 G as well. I have had it for about a month and I love it!!! I have a D300S but plan on going FX as well so it makes sense to get a great lens that will carry over. Go for the G!