Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #74 (Eyes Wide Shut) CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I, for one, would actually welcome the chance to see a paragraph written by the photographer regarding his or her image...this challenge is so fascinating that I really want to understand what element/theme/imagery of Kubrick's work each photographer explored.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see the explanation right next to the photograph...I want the chance to develop my own reaction to the art. Maybe a separate thread? Just an idea...

Boy I hope I have time to do this...I've got an idea buzzing around in my head...

Oh I like this.:lurk
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Oh I like this.:lurk
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I can see a thread where each Challenge Poster posted their image (small) and did a short monolog on it! thumb.gif

Could be an additional learning experience! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    johnloguk wrote: »
    ... unless we all need multi-paragraph explanations to go with our images :)

Do not make me get my word stick out :smack
    Let's remember that this is a challenge about visual images not about how well you describe it via words. In the general discussion thread we have already been discussing captions and how the theme words preferably should not be used in your title. A whole paragraph to explain an image would both detract from the image and change how each individual interprets the work of art for themselves.
    I, for one, would actually welcome the chance to see a paragraph written by the photographer regarding his or her image...this challenge is so fascinating that I really want to understand what element/theme/imagery of Kubrick's work each photographer explored.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to see the explanation right next to the photograph...I want the chance to develop my own reaction to the art. Maybe a separate thread? Just an idea...

Boy I hope I have time to do this...I've got an idea buzzing around in my head...
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I can see a thread where each Challenge Poster posted their image (small) and did a short monolog on it! thumb.gif

Could be an additional learning experience! :D

Don

In the past a separate thread was started, sometimes called behind the scenes. I think its a great way to gather more insight into how a photographer feels or interpreted their vision. I do not want to see this information before I have had a chance to ingest an image and developed in my head how it speaks to me personally, then visit the artists insight afterwards. Kind of like watching a movie and then afterwards watching it with director comments. It gives you a new perspective.

EDIT: I know that Froch has a personal gallery that breaks down many of his entries and explains how and why he did something in a shoot or image. I have always enjoyed seeing this information but only after I have enjoyed his image and came to my own conclusions.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Sean, such a thread could be one that is started only after voting is closed.

Not suggesting this for all future Challenges.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Sean, such a thread could be one that is started only after voting is closed.

Not suggesting this for all future Challenges.

Don

I agree. I also meant after the challenge is done and the voting too. For anyone who wants to participate, not mandatory, just eye opening.

sent from my ipad2
    I wish!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Just a note: I do realize that Kubrick has made some very controversial movies. Emotions and the human condition always play very strong roles in great imagery. Just please remember to keep things family friendly.

I am happy so see a positive response to this one.

Dang! there goes ideas 1-10. JK :D. Kubrick was really good at bringing out the dark side of our minds. Billy Bob Thornton does the same in his films.

Should be some interesting photo's this round
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I went to The Strand today to get a book on him, this challenge has me intrigued and regardless of my entry, I want to learn more.

The funny thing is, I got there and the sales guy says "what the hell is going on w/ Kubrick?" then he yells "Stanley, another Kubrick question?!" to no one in particular. We get to the shelf and it's nearly empty where the books normally rest eek7.gif.

Coincidence?! yea probably, but it's a funny coincidence.

Coincidence? I think not.....
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Coincidence? I think not.....
    15524779-Ti.gif

Not mere coincide, but coincide - ence ........ meant to happen simultaneously! :Dthumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011

I do not want to see this information before I have had a chance to ingest an image and developed in my head how it speaks to me personally, then visit the artists insight afterwards.

I absolutely agree (and believe this is what I said...but if not, it is what I meant to say!).

The only reason I made the suggestion is that this particular topic is a bit esoteric and it affords me (and maybe others) the chance to learn more about an artist (Kubrick) with whom I am not terribly familiar. Maybe it is just the professor in me!

Regardless, if we do this, I think it should be completely separate from the actual challenge so that the images stand on their own, as they should.

Hey, and if we don't do this and I see an image I am curious about...well, then, I'll just pm that photographer with a question! :D
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    ... Hey, and if we don't do this and I see an image I am curious about...well, then, I'll just pm that photographer with a question! :D

Anyone is able to start a thread that urges others to participate in sharing in this way thumb.gif
    It doesn't have to happen after the voting is done. If people do not want to look at it or participate until after the vote then that is their choice.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011

EDIT: I know that Froch has a personal gallery that breaks down many of his entries and explains how and why he did something in a shoot or image. I have always enjoyed seeing this information but only after I have enjoyed his image and came to my own conclusions.

Thankyou Sean! I wondered whether anyone ever visited them..... :o)
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2011
    Thank you for taking the time to do it. I know how much work it is.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    I just creeped myself out with my own entry.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I just creeped myself out with my own entry.

Imagine what it did to the rest of us...eek7.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Question for Sean please.
    Hi Sean,

I made a collage of several images to represent the movie in the theme of this challenge.
    - Because the movie has scenes of nudity, I used a manquins photo in it.

Here is my composite image along with the manequins photo:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=194840

My question is: would it be acceptable in the challenge or not?

Thank you,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    photo-bug wrote: »

My question is: would it be acceptable in the challenge or not?

Thank you,

Number one is a little bit more acceptable than number two. but they are both acceptable. They do push the boundaries even though they are mannequins they could be perceived as not. I personally do not have a problem with them.

You do realize that you can use any one of Kubrick's movies, not just "Eyes Wide Shut", right?
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Number one is a little bit more acceptable than number two. but they are both acceptable. They do push the boundaries even though they are mannequins they could be perceived as not. I personally do not have a problem with them.

Thank you :)
    You do realize that you can use any one of Kubrick's movies, not just "Eyes Wide Shut", right?

Yes, I do but the title is still "Eyes Wide Shut", so my first reaction was to think about this movie, since I saw it (twice). I have also seen Spartacus, as everybody else, but I couldn't find elements to illustrate it...

Thank you again,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    i can't find my copy of 2001. i know i have it. i could've sworn i've seen the dvd around...

could we pretend that blade runner is a Kubrick movie?

- Diana
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    i can't find my copy of 2001. i know i have it. i could've sworn i've seen the dvd around...

could we pretend that blade runner is a Kubrick movie?

Could we give you a pretend vote? Surely you can come up with an idea to shoot without actually watching the movie. There is so much information available about Kubrick's work, that you should have too many ideas. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 12, 2011
    I don't know a thing about Kubrick and I don't know if I ever watched any of his movies. All I did was read up on the plot of Eye's Wide Open which is the theme right? I guess I am getting a little confused about what the actual 'theme' is.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Here's a site with everything there is to know about Kubrick themes, concepts, scenes...

http://kubrickfilms.tripod.com/index.html
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    That said, I am similarly stumped.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    JAG wrote: »
    I don't know a thing about Kubrick and I don't know if I ever watched any of his movies. All I did was read up on the plot of Eye's Wide Open which is the theme right? I guess I am getting a little confused about what the actual 'theme' is.

Not sure why it is so confusing. As stated in the challenge summary;
    You can use a scene or how a scene makes you feel from ANY Kubrick film.
    The reason I called the theme "Eyes Wide Shut" is because it attracts a lot of attention, makes you do a double take, and also references an artists inner eye or third eye... the psyche.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Not sure why it is so confusing. As stated in the challenge summary;
    You can use a scene or how a scene makes you feel from ANY Kubrick film.
    The reason I called the theme "Eyes Wide Shut" is because it attracts a lot of attention, makes you do a double take, and also references an artists inner eye or third eye... the psyche.

yes that part is easy to understand. What makes this difficult for me is I will not be able to judge whether something fits the theme as I do not know his movies and after reading the one synopsis, I really would not want to look at his other movies, as I found Eyes Wide Shut to be really to the point of offensive. But that is me and I am not making waves, just making a point. Not all are going to know if an image will hit on a theme when its so broad. Thus for this round, I will overlook theme contents and just focus on the actual image as being a photograph with no theme. I will be grading for typical compositions, color, thirds, complication of the shot...ect. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    Just to be clear, I was hoping more for a Kubrick style of imagery not so much a Kubrick choice of plot or content mwink.gif. In regards to judging as always I'm sure there will be a top ten images that just speak to each of us and how they fit into the theme will be only a small part of why. My goal was to stimulate the imagination and push everyone in a direction that made them think about photography in a different way. The results so far have been exciting to see,.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    hmmm...then my image has fallen short of your expectations Sean. I went straight for imagery of content of the Eyes Wide Open. I will leave it in there as I feel its a worthy image anyway but I see your point of what you were trying to get at. I am just not a movie person. Interesting challenge though and it looks like others are succeeding your expectations!!;)
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    JAG wrote: »
    hmmm...then my image has fallen short of your expectations Sean.

I do not agree with you. I love your interpretation. I fully expected both styles.
    We always have a mix of both literal and esoteric theme responses. thumb.gif
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Joyce, I think your image is fine or more than fine! I also do not care for the movie "Eyes Wide Shut" and I don't care for Kubrick or his style in general. I am just not interested in him enough to research him to get ideas. I'm not even going to attempt this challenge mainly for that reason. That said, I still think I can judge the entries because something in the submitted images is going to entice me to look and maybe even help me to appreciate Kubrick's style a little bit. I've already noticed several that are worthy of a vote. :D

A little side note about how one cycle's theme may hang on for a while...our "Alphabet photography" theme a while back keeps coming around for me. That was something I'd never thought of before, but it was fun to hunt for letters in stuff during the challenge period. I had intended to try to find the whole alphabet but never got around to it. A lady from work came to me a couple of weeks ago and wants me to do her last name in alphabet photos. Cool, huh? Well, I don't have all the letters but this has prompted me to start looking again. I found the most awesome 'w' this past weekend (one letter that I really needed for her name!) as well as several other letters that I didn't have. My interest has been re-kindled. wings.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    Joyce, I think your image is fine or more than fine! I also do not care for the movie "Eyes Wide Shut" and I don't care for Kubrick or his style in general. I am just not interested in him enough to research him to get ideas. I'm not even going to attempt this challenge mainly for that reason. That said, I still think I can judge the entries because something in the submitted images is going to entice me to look and maybe even help me to appreciate Kubrick's style a little bit. I've already noticed several that are worthy of a vote. :D

A little side note about how one cycle's theme may hang on for a while...our "Alphabet photography" theme a while back keeps coming around for me. That was something I'd never thought of before, but it was fun to hunt for letters in stuff during the challenge period. I had intended to try to find the whole alphabet but never got around to it. A lady from work came to me a couple of weeks ago and wants me to do her last name in alphabet photos. Cool, huh? Well, I don't have all the letters but this has prompted me to start looking again. I found the most awesome 'w' this past weekend (one letter that I really needed for her name!) as well as several other letters that I didn't have. My interest has been re-kindled. wings.gif

Sherry

After reading about Eyes Wide Shut, I am uninterested in watching it. Try Dr. Strangelove or Spartacus or 2001: Space Odyssey before you give up on Kubrick. Dr Strangelove is a dark, satiric, comedy. Spartacus is about the ancient Greeks, starring Kirk Douglas. 2001: Space Odyssey is cinematically brilliant - a really ground breaking film.
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Surely you can come up with an idea to shoot without actually watching the movie. There is so much information available about Kubrick's work, that you should have too many ideas. ne_nau.gif

Way more irelevant info about how my brain works than anyone needs, but I just want to clarify; I usually watch movies for the stories, and only if the cinematography is trully spectacular do the visuals stick with me. That's why I needed a refresher; I saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" probably 20 years ago and my visual memory of it has faded (I ran into the dvd for like $5 last year, and bought it because, well, it is 2001, one of the best movies of all time, right? But hadn't been in the frame of mind required to re-watch it). I saw "Eyes wide shut" when it came out, but I really hated the strory, so I pretty much wiped out most references to it inside my head.

Anyhow, I found some of the key 2001 scenes on youtube and that helped remind me of what the movie actually looks like, and yes, Sean is right about Kubrick's use of primary colors. I am sure I had never noticed it before, but now that it's been pointed out to me, it's impossible to miss.

As an aside, memory degrades over time. And stories change when you don't re-visit them often; I was planning on creating an image where there's a white hallway with doors on both sides that seems to stretch to infinity... imagine my surprise when I couldn't find such a thing in the movie. I totally made it up. I may still try to do it, because a) I think it will look cool if I manage to pull it off, and b) will definitely force me to learn a few new things, but that image that I "remembered" never existed.

- Diana