Options

Cleaning up sensor crud in post processing

JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 7, 2011 in Finishing School
So my sensor looks like wrath. I'm working for a newspaper in Arizona for a bit and changing lenses in the desert is taking its toll even trying to be careful.

Ultimately, I'm going to have to send my 1D in to get cleaned (I think the glass on the sensor even has been scratched,) but I'm sure not doing it while I'm down here.

Anyway, I need a better way of cleaning up dust. Just doing spot healing is taking FOREVER. Figure 3 minutes per photo, trying to do a 20 photo gallery. Adds up freaking quick.

See sample photo below. Sorry about the huge size, I just want people to see what I'm working with here.

In some instances I'm using "dust and scratches," cranking it up high and then switching layer mode to "lighten." But that's one of those 40% of the time it works every time fixes. If anyone has any further suggestions I would be much obliged.

16284194_hgAWg#1241459645_9PuYP-O-LB

OK. The freaking image isn't displaying. You can find the image here.
jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I have seen worse, but the fix is sooooo easy!

CLEAN the sensor!

There are a number of posts with a ton of info on cleaning the sensor. It's not as hard or scary as it might seem.

Sam
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    If you are using Lightroom or Aperture you could try to use the clone/heal tool on one image and then copy/paste that to the rest of your images.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 6, 2011
    I agree with Sam--the direct solution is to clean the sensor yourself. It ain't rocket science and a Copperhill kit isn't expensive. Later model Canon cameras have the option to collect dust spot data which can be removed automagically in post, but only if you use Canon's DPP program. I don't know whether the 1DII has that feature.
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I agree with Sam--the direct solution is to clean the sensor yourself. It ain't rocket science and a Copperhill kit isn't expensive.

It may not even need a wet cleaning, especially since the dirt is apparently new and wouldn't have had time to become "welded" to the sensor.

The first step is to clean the sensor with a simple rocket blower. You'll need to get the camera to lock up the mirror (read the fine manual) and then give the sensor 5-10 blasts with the blower. So far, this has worked for me every time. I do have a Copperhill kit but I've never actually had to use it.

Here's the kind of thing you need:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318545-REG/Giottos_AA1910_Rocket_Air_Blower.html