Options

Baseball C&C

KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited April 11, 2011 in Sports
Can you give me some feed back on these shots? Tighter, wrong angle for that shot, no enough punch, same old shot we always see LOL. We are finding it hard to get into the rhythm of the game.
Thanks, Frank
1241713407_Q6KrJ-XL.jpg

2. The Pitcher shot, {my 100-400 isnt as sharp as the 70-200}
1241708577_huyK7-XL.jpg

3. Tried something different, same lens
1241709110_bS6Dy-XL.jpg

4. 70-200 2.8 II

1241709832_2iaVF-X2.jpg

5.1241768680_3ehvB-XL.jpg

6. Nates shots {my16 year old son who seems to always be pointing the camera in the right direction}. Crop out the runner???

1241767297_KN7JH-XL.jpg

7.Another Nate shot
1241711488_r6jPV-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I really like 4 and 7 :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I think all are well done--crisp, good exposure, etc. I'm not crazy about #3 because of how it cuts off the leading arm. I'd like to see the last one cropped much more on both the top and the bottom--leaving a kind of long panaroma shot. I know it would then be a non-standard print size, but I think it would work better...
    Regards

Will
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks guys. I wasnt too sure about #3 either, but I figured I would throw it up there and see if anyone liked it. I know all of them could stand a tighter crop, but I have to be able to print standard sizes.

Frank
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Yes, I'd crop 6 and make it vertical (but show some ground). I agree with Will on 7. 4...wow that is SHARP! I guess it is worth 2 and a half K... lol.

I'd be interested in what bodies and lenses you used. I am usually finding that 200mm on 1.3x crop isn't long enough for infielders, even in Little League with the smaller diamond.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    love #7 - your son has a knack for pointing the camera in the right direction. And I'd also crop #6 more and lighten it up a bit. Actually, IMHO, I'd probably crop most of them tighter...

The rest look pretty good, but I don't think I'd keep the 1st, mostly b/c I don't like back shots (but if you do keep it, crop it in some more too)

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Yes, I'd crop 6 and make it vertical (but show some ground). I agree with Will on 7. 4...wow that is SHARP! I guess it is worth 2 and a half K... lol.

I'd be interested in what bodies and lenses you used. I am usually finding that 200mm on 1.3x crop isn't long enough for infielders, even in Little League with the smaller diamond.

#2,3,5 were shot with a Canon 7D and a 100-400
    #1 and #4 were shot with a Canon 7D and the 70-200 2.8 II
    Nates shots were done with a Canon 40D and a 70-200 2.8 non IS and a 16 year olds reflexes Laughing.gif

I got a question for you...How did you get your "BUY" button larger?

Frog Lady C. Im still amazed when I can stop the ball mid air and be in focus. I do agree though, no one buys a pic without a face.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    By pasting this code into my CSS box:
    #buyButton.sm-button, #cartButton.sm-button {font-size: 200%;}

I think that's it. If it's not, let me know and I'll see if there's anything else. You can change the % number to change the size. 100% is regular, 200% is what I did, etc.

Question. How many photos do you usually come home with after a game? How many are usually left when you've processed them all? Are the shots above "typical" for you, or are they the best from that game? For me, shooting JPEG, I usually get about 1000 from a 5 or 6 inning game, which usually becomes about 100 once they're processed.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2011
    We usually come home with around 200-600, depending on how good the game is. I try to strip those shots down to around 30-40. So far, those are typical keepers for our photo shoots. Every field we shoot has different access problems and we are still figuring out the rythm of the game. Sales have been slow, I have to get my name out there, like we did for basketball which was great. The other key is making shots that the Moms and Dads cant get and cant live without.

Feel free to take a look at the rest of our sports shots, or anything else on my site..the link is in my signature. Thanks for the css code!
    Frank
  • Options
    S-squaredS-squared Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Baseball is the world's greatest game... It is also the most fun to shoot.

I typically shoot about 350 shots per game and upload almost all of them. I batch process them with a standard action and let the parents go from there. If they really love a particular photograph, I will work the original raw file and make it higher quality.

You got some great shots. The key to shooting baseball, in my opinion, is getting in the dugout. It is a great viewing location and the excitement gets the creative juices flowing!

Have fun,

Scott
    www.s-squaredphotography.com