Options

Need Help: How to create a frame within a frame?

TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited April 11, 2011 in Finishing School
I've recently upgraded to CS5 from PSE8, so I've got a bit of a learning curve anyway. I've figured out how to create a frame around an image (though I still need to figure out how to keep the frame inside the print size instead of adding 2" all around an 8X10 making it 12x14 :huh), but I also want to be able to create about 4 smaller framed images within the larger framed image. Does that make sense?

Let me try to explain what I'm wanting to do:

Let's say I've created a 24 x 36 poster size image of a rare car and I want to show off some of the intricate detail work like the dashboard, the wire spoke wheels, the grill, and the upholstery with close-up images, and I want those to be, say 4 x 4 with a border/frame around them, placed in the larger image.

Can I do that? How do I do that?

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I would say create each photo and frame as individual layers, and then you can move/amend as desired.

And, if you haven't already checked out PhotoshopCafe, you should! Its a terrific resource of Photoshop related items.

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    I'll check them out. What you said sounds right. I'll have to play a little to make sure I understand what I'm doing. I'm taking a bit of a break right now from reading "Photoshop CS5 for Dummies" (my contacts were getting dry).
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    File>new and create the size of the canvas you want, with a resolution of 300 to print, or 72 for web.
    Then as Tony mentioned, create each photo/frame as individual layers and you can then move them around.
    Use Ctrl + T to bring up free transform, hold down the shift key to keep it constrained, and drag the corner handles to resize.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thank you. I'll have to do a little practicing with the idea to make sure I can reproduce it the way I want it. I'm reading "Photoshop CS5 for Dummies", so I can create some Actions to help with this.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    If I want the resultant image to be a 24 x 36 print and I want the inset images to be 4 x 4, how do I make those inset frames to an exact dimension?
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Ctrl + R will show the rulers.