Advice needed on high end point and shoot

achesleyachesley Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 11, 2011 in Cameras
I'm selling my Canon Rebel XS. Just too big of a camera for what I do. Mainly taking pictures while rolling mostly and travel landscape and object shots when I do stop. I keep my camera in my tank bag easy to get at as you never know what you're going to see coming around a curve. So I have to get the camera, turn it on, get the picture in just several seconds. I have a Minolta Dimage Z6 that is a perfect size but very slow on focus so miss many shots as I don't hold it at half click long enough most times. The speed of the Rebel is great. Also have a Pentax Optio t10 for a pocket camera that's even slower than the Dimage.
What I'm looking for is a fast camera, good jpeg, good battery life, view finder and some image stability. Something easy to hold and shoot with the left hand as my right is on the throttle if I can help it. ;-) .
All advice welcomed. I'm just not that up on the new cameras and get lost in all the tech talk. :dunno

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    You're not going to find the speed of an SLR in a point and shoot. You might try a mirrorless, but I have never used one so I don't know about the speed. Mirrorless, is, well, mirrorless, so you're not going to have a real viewfinder (the image will be on a screen).

There are lots of compacts with good jpeg, good battery life, and image stablization (Canon S95 has very good sensor), but the autofocus modules that go into compacts aren't designed for hi-speed tracking. And turning the camera on will take a few seconds.

Maybe someone on here knows of a fast compact, or you might try mirrorless (but like I said, I don't know how fast they are).

What lens are you using on your XS? If it's the kit lens, you could get a much smaller lens that would make the combo smaller.
  • achesleyachesley Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I have the 18-55 Canon on it with auto focus and stabilizing. I was reading about the Canon G12 this afternoon during a break. May try it unless someone suggest something better. Thanks for the input. Oh , bright sunlight just kills any screen I've seen so far. That's why I want some with a view finder.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Nice to see another rider on Dgrin!

I have found that the really tiny cameras like the S95 are actually too small for use on a bike. They slip out of your hands too easily and the controls are minuscule. The S95 is a killer camera, it's just a little slippery at 60mph. :)

I have used the G12 and currently own the Panasonic LX5 and the Nikon P7000. You mentioned JPG, out of camera performance so I will tailor my input to that type of use.

The P7000 features a 28-200 lens which is really convenient and useful. There are 2 custom user banks you can customize and have easy access to via a control dial. The camera generally does a good job with autoexposure and focuses easily enough to be used while rolling. Lots of external controls make this camera easy to use without diving into long menus all the time.

The LX5 has a 24-105 lens, which also offers f/2.0 at 24mm. Custom user banks are also available. What sets this camera apart for your use is the iA mode. It's a super smart scene detection system that works on the fly to optimize your shots. Sunsets, beaches, forests, etc. And unlike most of the other systems out there, it works incredibly well. My suggestion is to turn on the "Happy" mode for punchy colors and contrast. The iA mode is pretty much as simple as it gets, and it gets it right more often than ANY other camera I have used.

The G12 is behind the curve with a 28-105 lens. Not as wide as the LX5 and shorter than the P7000. It does have a swivel screen, but for the most part this feature hasn't impressed me. It's snappier than both of the other cameras, and also offers a range of external control dials.

My personal favorite is the LX5. It's the best point and shoot of the bunch. Doesnt try to be a DSLR, provides a far superior auto mode which gets the shot you want more often than not, has the widest angle lens, has the fastest lens, is the smallest of the bunch without becoming too slippery...oh, and did I mention that awesome iA auto mode that blows me away whenever I use it? You have to constantly tinker with the other cameras as the light and scenery changes. The LX5 works like a point and shoot should, by keeping the technical stuff out of the equation and giving you a great travel photo...and then allowing you to move on, no tinkering required.

I can post some example photos tomorrow if you'd like(I am on the iPad right now).
    edited April 7, 2011
    My concern , after reading a bunch of reviews on the LX5, would be the LCD screen only. Could you even see it in direct, bright sunlight? At times when I do stop to take some photos, I've found the screen of no use in direct sunlight. I would of had to carry a hood ( like old time people did ) to line up or frame a picture. On the bike I just take multiple shots , sort of just aiming over the camera and changing angles. Per example, last Saturday, I did about 90 shots , all on the move in windy conditions on the Louisiana coast and only kept about 20 with the Rebel XS. I usually end up with about 10% keepers on the older Minolta Dimage Z6 I mostly use. But miss many due to it's slowness in focusing as it won't shoot till focused. Or , maybe I have not learned it well enough. ;-)
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I have the lx5 -- since January this year. I like the fact that I can just snap it on to my belt and have it with me. It's better than other p&s cameras I've tried, for sure. The lack of view finder is very hard to get used to. I really appreciate its fast (2.0) lens and manual capabilities, though. It serves my purpose, but would never replace my digital SLR.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • adi_190adi_190 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2011
    achesley wrote: »
    My concern , after reading a bunch of reviews on the LX5, would be the LCD screen only. Could you even see it in direct, bright sunlight? At times when I do stop to take some photos, I've found the screen of no use in direct sunlight. I would of had to carry a hood ( like old time people did ) to line up or frame a picture. On the bike I just take multiple shots , sort of just aiming over the camera and changing angles. Per example, last Saturday, I did about 90 shots , all on the move in windy conditions on the Louisiana coast and only kept about 20 with the Rebel XS. I usually end up with about 10% keepers on the older Minolta Dimage Z6 I mostly use. But miss many due to it's slowness in focusing as it won't shoot till focused. Or , maybe I have not learned it well enough. ;-)

why don't you consider G12 its perfect for your need I feel. It has all the features you wanted. For Panasonic LX-5 you can buy a optical viewfinder as an add-on.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    For the screen in sunlight, you can bend over and cast a shadow on the screen. I've found this helps. Sure, a nice screen would be better. But there are ways around the problem, like what I said above, or a hood.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    The LX5 screen is perfectly fine from my experience. It doesn't have the resolution of the G12 or P7000, but otherwise it's a great.
    edited April 7, 2011
    I should have my Canon Rebel sold tomorrow morning. Hope! I think I've decided on the G12. Was amazed how many were already for sale in Ebay. Thanks for all the input to help me make a decision. Looking like the G12 will be really inbetween my Minolta Dimage and the Rebel XS.
  • NyftyNyfty Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Motorcycle Camera
    I got tired of riskng my D90 w/18/200mm lens on LD trips or Dual Sport Rides. I looked at both the G12 and P7000. I ended up with a P7000 for two reasons. I'm accustomed with how Nikon lays out their programs, and the lens is an 28/200mm. I like that for a little more reach. I would never consider it an "action" camera. But it works great as a landacape camera.

Since then, I've found that it's my camera, when I'm not carrying a camera. I take it everywhere, even when I packing the D90 and 5 lenses.

There's a P7000 here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=184386&highlight=nikon+P7000
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    I got to use an LX-5 yesterday and liked it - the ia mode that bloomphotog was describing is very neat and I think I would use it a lot.

If I had to replace my G9 it would be a choice between G12 and LX-5 with the G12 probably winning because I am very content with the G series. Supposedly the image quality on G12 is a bit better than LX-5. I prefer the G viewfinder option for composing in bright light - the LX-5 screen is difficult to see in the sun and mostly covered with "useful" info on settings and modes.
    The G12 also has the moveable display so you get the best of both worlds, although when shooting from a moving bike you are not composing anyway.

Spec wise the LX-5 is likely a bit better in low light but then I never had a problem with G9 even.

LX5 is a bit smaller than the G series and I found my thumb accidentally operating controls while using one-handed, but perhaps this is a question of practice.

Nikon Coolpix P7000 should be a contender also but it seems to be a copy of the G series and I picked up some rumors about firmware problems which are likely over-egged. Probably worth a closer look just because it is a Nikon but it does not seem to offer much above the G12 beyond specmanship.

Any of these three cameras should do the job and deliver state-of-the art P&S.
    edited April 10, 2011
    Thanks for all the help and advice. I have a G12 coming as the Rebel XS was sold Friday. Looking forward to learning it. I am keeping my old stand by Minolta Dimage z6 though.
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    G12 is a great choice!! Good luck with it.

Jay