A recent trip to New Zealand

LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
edited April 7, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi,

I'm really not a landscape photographer, but it is something that I would like to be better at. Also, I don't think you can travel to New Zealand and NOT take pictures of the landscape... :)

I'd love some C&C on this image.

1242503361_Cm2R9-L.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    What a unique landscape! Great catch, especially with the sunburst. :)
  • LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    What a unique landscape! Great catch, especially with the sunburst. :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging comment. :)

I should have said before that the photo is of Mitre Peak, at Milford Sound on New Zealand's South Island.
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I like this shot and it's a great place, although I haven't been there since I was a kid. My only C&C would be to make sure your horizon or water is spot on level and maybe try shooting with a CPL filter to help remove some of the haze - you can also add a soft light layer in PS to help reduce this in post as well.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos thumb.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Milford sound is indeed an amassing place. well captured shot.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
    edited April 7, 2011
    eMOJO wrote: »
    I like this shot and it's a great place, although I haven't been there since I was a kid. My only C&C would be to make sure your horizon or water is spot on level and maybe try shooting with a CPL filter to help remove some of the haze - you can also add a soft light layer in PS to help reduce this in post as well.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos thumb.gif

Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to get that filter for ages now, and should have done so before this trip. I'm a -complete- novice when it comes to photoshop, and only have access to Photoshop Elements. I'm still experimenting with what that can do, and haven't touched the 'layers' section at all yet. The horizon I can fix :)
    bskaran wrote: »
    Milford sound is indeed an amassing place. well captured shot.

Thank you so much!
  • czhike88czhike88 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    An added thought for you on circular polarizers is that they are most effective when you are shooting at 90 degrees to the sun.
    edited April 7, 2011
    czhike88 wrote: »
    An added thought for you on circular polarizers is that they are most effective when you are shooting at 90 degrees to the sun.

Thanks for this! I hope I'll remember it when I finally do get hold of that filter. I imagine that 90 degress to the sun is not always going to be an option...?
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    the CPL will still work at different angles to the sun, it's just most effective @ 90deg and tapers off to being not effective @ 180deg or 0deg
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    this mountain range you have shot is very beautiful. i also like the sunstar through the tree. My only cc (and maybe this was not possible) would have been to wait for the sun to get even lower, maybe try and set the sunstar right on the mountain horizon. I would also look around possibly closer to the water to see if there was a more interesting foreground element, even a reflection possibly. Having said that you have done a great job with your composition as is!