Purple Sunset off the Landing

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in Landscapes
Had a feeling about tonight's sunset so drove out with plans for a shoot at a location I had scouted a few weeks ago. That was a dud and I basically followed the light til I ended up near our old rental house. I had shot off this landing countless times but not in at least a year. I grabbed the 10-stop to add motion to the clouds and smooth out/saturate the water.
C/C appreciated

1 f/11 - 2 minutes
1242613658_DXe7C-L.jpg

2 f/8 - 3 1/2 minutes
1242613862_gAVAj-L.jpg

3 An HDR composite from a few minutes earlier
1242613288_GQqjN-L.jpg

Comments

• A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Those are really cool pics. Are the purple skies done in photoshop or with filters or is that how they really look in your area?
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks for the post - appreciate it!
    No PS work - barely touched the vibrance slider. The sky really did turn purple and the long exposure led to a bit more saturation naturally which was nice. Hard to time those exposures and I had to adjust the fill light a bit in post but the colors were true...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Eyal, the pics are nice but I really like your watermark! Creative and tasteful. :D
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks Schmoo!
    It was due, in part, to the business card thread on Dgrin. I had way too much text on the card and needed a logo to clean it up - I realized in a flash that the reverse of WED was almost MHD (three letter code for our town) and was off and running.
    The blog has picked up more than I would have imagined and gotten me back to regular landscape shooting. i'll keep posting my efforts here and in 'other cool shots' depending on the use of HDR mwink.gif
  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I live in the desert southwest and we don't get much purple in our sunsets. We get alot of deep reds and orange. I really love the purple!
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Nicely done, the 10-stops of filter really works well for these shots, oh... and I love the way you process your HDR shots

Cheers
    E
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Nice series Eyal. I really like your first two shots. That 10 stop filter really helped to saturate and stretch out the clouds.
    edited April 8, 2011
    Thanks E. I still haven't figured out where my HDR stuff should be posted. I just put up a series from the other morning under Other Cool Shots. I would appreciate your thoughts if you have the time:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=194549

Doug - thanks! The bracket was actually done with a 3 stop. Realized I needed the 10 for the clouds and to smooth out the rough water so I ran back to the car to grab it.