Options

First IR shots (3 pics, mBWW)

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
Just got my Hoya ND4, ND8, and R72 from The Filter Connection today (ordered Monday night). Took my daughter to the park this afternoon after the rain stopped. Managed to come up with these:

ir_tower.jpg

ir_tree.jpg

ir_tree_color.jpg
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Nice.

I've seen plenty of first time IR on dgrin, and they don't usually look this good first time out!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Definitely impressive for first time out. Have you been getting instructions from the IR degriners:D? Nice PP for the shots also; looks like you have a great start.

Let's see some more,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice.

I've seen plenty of first time IR on dgrin, and they don't usually look this good first time out!

15524779-Ti.gif

nice job, tristan
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    Ohhhhh Well Done Tristan
    TristanP wrote:
    Just got my Hoya ND4, ND8, and R72 from The Filter Connection today (ordered Monday night). Took my daughter to the park this afternoon after the rain stopped. Managed to come up with these:
    This is exactly why I will not give up my Sony's :D
    I am still kicking myself for not taking my Sony away with me for the sole purpose of doing IR........the opportunities were countless......next near I'm taking it with me, cause now I know what I can carry rolleyes1.gif

Tristan your shots are just beautiful, IR is a world of it's own, things you would not look twice at in color, are often hidden treasures for IR.
    Isn't it wonderful to be able to see what the end result will sort of look like before you even take the shot :D well done, I bet your more than pleased with these shots........... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    nice job
    digital IR is addictive.

your skies are nice and dark too-just after rain is a good time to shoot skies as the moisture in the air scatters the IR and gives you nice dark blackness.

early morning and late afternoon are also good times ,as the angle of the sun sends a lot more IR and can give you some nice colours ,as well as contrast.

it is also worth playing around with your in camera settings such as saturation etc and if you can adjust your white balance in camera ,even better ,as you will be able to get a kind of "full" colour digital IR.

looking forward to see how your IR shooting develops.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    Have you been getting instructions from the IR degriners:D?
    The beauty of coming late to the party is that the hard work has been done already. It's just a matter of doing the research (Dgrin, STF (Andy's summary posts in particular) and PBase galleries) and following instructions, both of which I can do fairly well. :D

I think the WB was Auto, so next time out I'll experiment with other options. These were also handheld, so I can probably improve things next time with a tripod. The ND filters will also come in handy for daytime waterfall-type stuff. We'll be up in the Poconos Oct 14-16 for the balloon fest and Bushkill Falls is on our list of stops. Both should be some nice shooting opportunites.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Pressure's on now...
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    good job Tristan, isn't IR so fun? In the processing too. It's always exciting to look thru them after uploading. Thats why I keep my little V1 Sony too! They make great prints. You'll have a blast on your trip.
    TristanP wrote:
    The beauty of coming late to the party is that the hard work has been done already. It's just a matter of doing the research (Dgrin, STF (Andy's summary posts in particular) and PBase galleries) and following instructions, both of which I can do fairly well. :D

I think the WB was Auto, so next time out I'll experiment with other options. These were also handheld, so I can probably improve things next time with a tripod. The ND filters will also come in handy for daytime waterfall-type stuff. We'll be up in the Poconos Oct 14-16 for the balloon fest and Bushkill Falls is on our list of stops. Both should be some nice shooting opportunites.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Pressure's on now...