Options

#74 Stanley KuBRICK

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Oh, my adoring fans, I'm back. :rolleyes :lol like a bad penny.

These both need reshoots but what do you think for "Here's ... Johnny!"

#1 [URL="[url=http://hobbyist.smugmug.com/Photography/DGRIN/DSS-74/16521122_Azv8p#1243711345_cwN2A-A-LB][img]http://hobbyist.smugmug.com/Photography/DGRIN/DSS-74/IMGP5929-250/1243711345_cwN2A-L.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]1243711345_cwN2A-L.jpg

#2 [IMG][/img]1243712049_HoDEw-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I think they're funny for Here's Johnny, but the challenge is Eyes Wide Shut.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I think they are spot on the theme. "any one of Stanley Kubrick's movies"

This is a take off on the manic look of Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

I like the first one better, but I can't really say why.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I like the frame/comp & lighting in the first & placement of Johnny in the second. "Themeworthiness" - I've only seen 2 of Kubrick's films, but to me, if you affixed a mask on him it would work for the film Eyes Wide Open, but not sure if it's menacing or "dark" (noire?) enough - if that makes any sense?

(The Shining isn't one of the films I've seen - so I didn't pick up on that one)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I think they are spot on the theme. "any one of Stanley Kubrick's movies"

nod.gif
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    i love the expression on #2. more menacing and unbalanced.

- Diana
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    nod.gif

thanks for the confirmation Sean.

- Diana
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Great comments-- of course I knew I was in trouble when I started riffing on a theme from one of his movies. I had thought/hoped that the Here's Johnny scene from the Shining would be iconic enough, but it may only be for movie geeks "of a certain age." (ahem!)

Oldtown, I'm tickled that you like the "expression" of the 2nd one-- sometimes lighting and framing have a bigger effect than actual facial expression, no? ;-)
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    when did they start making lego men so menacing looking?!

I like #1 for creepiness factor--the second one looks more like a peeping Tom to me.

I think it's a hilarious take on The Shinning---and Mr. Kubrick rolls over in his grave....now. ;)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I like the first one a lot. Here's Johnny was all I needed to get it....really great!
    Also, I'm glad for the clarification, as I was stuck on Eyes Wide Shut, which I hadn't seen. Any Kubrick Film .... well, hopefully that'll make it a bit easier to come up with something.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Hi Mark, Yes, spot on theme, and funny to boot. Other than that, the imagery itself is lacking which may be what you intend to work on.
    tom wise
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Top pose for sure!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    That's officially hilarious - I love it!

Anecdote: I was dragged to see The Shining by a high school boyfriend, without having the faintest idea it was a hack-and-chop/horror movie. By the time I figured it out I was WAY too emotionally invested in it to stay detached and it COMPLETELY freaked me out! I was too scared to go to bed when I got hom and sat up on the sofa all night until my mom came down and found me, woke me up, I was so disorientated that I just panicked and then burst into tears. To say the least, I've never had a desire to rewatch it rolleyes1.gif (although I suspect if I did I'd just laugh at myself!!!)
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    nod.gif

I'm gonna have to pay better attention to all the discussions :D
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

Anecdote: I was dragged to see The Shining by a high school boyfriend, without having the faintest idea it was a hack-and-chop/horror movie. By the time I figured it out I was WAY too emotionally invested in it to stay detached and it COMPLETELY freaked me out! I was too scared to go to bed when I got hom and sat up on the sofa all night until my mom came down and found me, woke me up, I was so disorientated that I just panicked and then burst into tears. To say the least, I've never had a desire to rewatch it rolleyes1.gif (although I suspect if I did I'd just laugh at myself!!!)

Guarantee you won't--You would likely be just as scared--I saw it recently--the only difference was that I remember loving so many of the scenes and the way they were shot--something I do on a regular basis now.
    For example the tide of blood washing into the room in slow mo--I was fixated--in awe! still scared, but also bowdown.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

My husband, who vaguely resembles Jack Nicholson, used to scare the kids by imitating these scenes.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Fun discussion! My wife won't watch the Shining with me. And she's never been able to watch more than 20 minutes of Dr. Strangelove. headscratch.gif. Still, there must be a reason I married her!