An Ultra-Rare Duesenberg Race car

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 9, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I've shown you a number of magnificent Duesenberg road cars. I've not, however, shown you any of their race cars. The simple reason for that is because Duesenberg racers are so rare that you very seldom see one. You can go to 10 major shows and you're lucky if you get to see even one of them. This show had 5 of them on display....that's right, 5 of them. It was probably the largest number of them to ever be assembled at any one show.

This car is a 1915 Duesenberg Indy Car. Fred and August Duesenberg got their start building race cars. Even after E.L. Cord got control of the Duesenberg company in the later 20's, it was August Duesenberg that remained in control of the race car production and operations....it was, and remained, a separate company from that which was sold to Cord.

This very car is, in fact, the second oldest Duesenberg known to exist. It was raced extensively prior to WWI. In 1916, it came in second place in the Indianapolis 500 race....driven by Wilbur D'Arlene. After the war ( racing was suspended during the war ) the car again saw extensive racing. It was found in a barn in 1941 and mechanically restored. After going through several owners since then, the current owners brought the car up to its current condition in 1994.

Like all Duesenbergs, their race cars were very innovative for the times. The engine in this car is a very unusual 300 C.I. " Walking Beam " design. Its overhead valves are activated by 2-foot long rocker arms. It produced about 100 HP at 2500 RPM.

1243747349_T34Aa-X2.jpg

1243747527_XcgZk-X2.jpg

1243747894_yeufk-X2.jpg

1243748134_m3vxQ-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Another awesome set of images and technical background detail about your featured car, Tom. I am very curious... "How in the world do you get such accurate historical details about this legendary cars?" As always, thanks for sharing this to us. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Wow... I have gazed upon quite a few man-made machines in my 28 years, both in person and on the internet, and I don't quite think I've seen a motor like that before.

Weird machine there :> Did it ever win any races?
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Nice looking car .. looks like a barrel almost. 100 miles per hour would be scary for me with tires like that. Why the triple A insignia on it?

Laughing.gif .. I'd put those wheel stops under the tires too if parked new a water hole.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Another awesome set of images and technical background detail about your featured car, Tom. I am very curious... "How in the world do you get such accurate historical details about this legendary cars?" As always, thanks for sharing this to us. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

I appreciate the kind words, Jiro.

Over the years, I've accumulated quite an extensive library about cars and the people behind them. The Internet also provides a vast wealth of info. I'm also often lucky enough to get to talk to the owners or exhibitors of these wonderful machines.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    No wonder. I'm quite impressed on your special attention to detail whenever you share to us the background of these cars. You must be a definite car aficionado to appreciate all these things. bowdown.gif I'm more into motorbikes. :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited April 7, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    Wow... I have gazed upon quite a few man-made machines in my 28 years, both in person and on the internet, and I don't quite think I've seen a motor like that before.

Weird machine there :> Did it ever win any races?

Hi kithylin,

That's quite an unusual engine, for sure. But it was a very successful design....it even made its way into some of the Duesenberg road cars. This car did win races. In fact, it was raced over quite a long period....5 or 6 years....which is way longer than the usual lifespan of a race car.

Tom
    edited April 7, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nice looking car .. looks like a barrel almost. 100 miles per hour would be scary for me with tires like that. Why the triple A insignia on it?

Laughing.gif .. I'd put those wheel stops under the tires too if parked new a water hole.

Hey Mary,

Like you, I wondered about that Triple A badge. It may be there as some sort of private joke or perhaps someone with ties to the Triple A company may have money invested in the car. Don't know.

Tom
    edited April 8, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    No wonder. I'm quite impressed on your special attention to detail whenever you share to us the background of these cars. You must be a definite car aficionado to appreciate all these things. bowdown.gif I'm more into motorbikes. :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Well, I'm a bit of a motorbike freak myself. I got my first one when I was 14 and over my 55 years of riding them since then I've owned 21 of the things. At one time I even raced motocross....got a few broken bones and quit that nonsense. I love bikes.

Tom
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Duesie's are such incredible and beautiful machines, I love them. I grew up not far from where they were built in Indiana. I recently began reading "Ace of Aces - The Life of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacher" and his years as a race driver before the war. It's hard for people today to imagine 60-80 mph as being fast, but in those days there was nothing faster, except maybe the trains. These machines were very deadly even then.
    edited April 8, 2011
    Duesie's are such incredible and beautiful machines, I love them. I grew up not far from where they were built in Indiana. I recently began reading "Ace of Aces - The Life of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacher" and his years as a race driver before the war. It's hard for people today to imagine 60-80 mph as being fast, but in those days there was nothing faster, except maybe the trains. These machines were very deadly even then.

There's another excellent book available about Rickenbacker.....it's his own autobiography, titled simply " Rickenbacker ". It was published, I think, in1967. He was a truly fascinating individual.

I share your love of the Duesenbergs. This last show I went to featured them as one of the primary exhibits. I have never seen so many Duesenbergs in one place at the same time before. And, as I've already mentioned, they had five of the race cars at this show...astounding!

Tom

PS I've really enjoyed your work with early aircraft.
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Hmmm... when I post my ACD photos, I'll just have you write the history behind the car for me ;)

Yeah, that racer was in Auburn last year (i think). It's a really neat car. I'll have to get my ACD 2010 photos online.
    edited April 8, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    Hmmm... when I post my ACD photos, I'll just have you write the history behind the car for me ;)

Yeah, that racer was in Auburn last year (i think). It's a really neat car. I'll have to get my ACD 2010 photos online.

It's good to hear from you, David. I'll be looking for your 2010 ACD shots.

Tom
    edited April 9, 2011
    PS I've really enjoyed your work with early aircraft.

Thank you for the compliment.

This morning I went to an EAA Fly In with some friends from my R/C club. There were a handful of Stearmans and a beautiful old Ford (model T, I think). Next weekend I'll be shooting a WWI Scale R/C Model competition at the Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL.

I enjoy flying things the way you enjoy the cars.

TJ
    edited April 9, 2011
    Thank you for the compliment.

This morning I went to an EAA Fly In with some friends from my R/C club. There were a handful of Stearmans and a beautiful old Ford (model T, I think). Next weekend I'll be shooting a WWI Scale R/C Model competition at the Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL.

I enjoy flying things the way you enjoy the cars.

TJ

My enthusiasm for things with motors extends to planes as well. I learned to fly in 1962.....an old J-3 Piper Cub. I've been an aviation buff as long as I can remember. I've been to Kermit Week's Fantasy of Flight many times. That is one fascinating place. I was supposed to be at the Sun 'N' Fun gathering the day the terrible storm hit but a business commitment kept me away....thank goodness. A partner of mine who was there said it was holy hell.

I've got to tell you, I really admire you guys who fly R/C planes. I've tried it a little but, to my mind, flying those things is one hell of a lot harder than flying regular planes. I hope you'll share some pictures of the meets you go to.

Take care,

Tom
    edited April 9, 2011
    I shot several images today (even a J-3), but haven't really processed any, but for a few teasers.

I've never been a certificated pilot, but I know how, flown with friends many times. R/C is a different animal. You can't 'feel' what the aircraft is doing like you can the real thing.

Here's one of the few I processed...