Hover Bee

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited April 10, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
These aren't great but I thought they were kind of fun anyway. I don't know what kind of bee this is. I call them hover bees because they dart around and then hover in one place for awhile. I was just seeing if my camera could focus on and capture the small target in flight.

These were hand held with a 70-200mm lens at about 4 feet away and then cropped to close to 100%. Any suggestions on how I could have captured these a little crisper?

1244261963_cyHUj-L.jpg

1244261954_TQJkX-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Turn up iso, faster shutter speed, continuous shooting, manual focus, rocking motion (closer and further)

and/or 100 mm macro lens.:D
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Turn up iso, faster shutter speed, continuous shooting, manual focus, rocking motion (closer and further)

and/or 100 mm macro lens.:D

Thanks Dan. I'll give those tips a shot next time he hovers around here.
  • cromwellcromwell Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    I've tried several times to shoot these without any luck. They don't ever hover in one place long enough when I'm shooting them. They are actually flies not bees. A flash might also help to freeze the motion.
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    cromwell wrote: »
    I've tried several times to shoot these without any luck. They don't ever hover in one place long enough when I'm shooting them. They are actually flies not bees. A flash might also help to freeze the motion.

Thanks Cromwell. Very sad that they are flies and not bees. Calling it a "hover fly" just doesn't sound as cool. rolleyes1.gif

I did use a flash on these in HSS but still needed to push my shutter speed up a bunch Like Dan suggested.