C&C always welcome.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Lovely! I like the natural sepia tones! thumb.gif

clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I like it! Subtle hues and strong lines. Not to mention the interesting play of light and shadows. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    Thanks for commenting, Jiro and Don. thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    I think Jiro nailed it on this one. It's got a lot of strong elements at play.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 10, 2011
    I think Jiro nailed it on this one. It's got a lot of strong elements at play.thumb.gif

Tom
    Thanks, Tom. It's funny--this was actually a test shot in preparation for shooting the full moon. It was the first time I used magnified live view and manual focus. The test turned out better than the moon shot. lol3.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I just love photos like this. Has my eyes fixed on seeking out all the hidden corners, subject matter, etc.

Question tho .. magnified live view? What's that?
    edited April 11, 2011
    Thanks, Mary.

Live view is a feature of some later model dSLRs that let's you see a continual display of what you're shooting on the LCD, like a P&S. On my Canon 50D, you can magnify the image up to 10x, which gives you a detailed enough image that you can use it to manually focus with pretty decent accuracy. The magnification does not affect the image that is recorded, only the preview.
    edited April 11, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks, Mary.

Live view is a feature of some later model dSLRs that let's you see a continual display of what you're shooting on the LCD, like a P&S. On my Canon 50D, you can magnify the image up to 10x, which gives you a detailed enough image that you can use it to manually focus with pretty decent accuracy. The magnification does not affect the image that is recorded, only the preview.

The magnification word/process confused me :D My 40D has live view, but I've never tried it out. Looks like I'm going to have learn how to use it.

Thanks for the information Richard :D
    edited April 11, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    The magnification word/process confused me :D My 40D has live view, but I've never tried it out. Looks like I'm going to have learn how to use it.

Thanks for the information Richard :D
    Perhaps magnification is not the right term. It's really just crop and zoom, using the same controls that you use to zoom in on one area of a pic you are reviewing in camera. The main use I see for it is when you are shooting in light that is too low for normal auto-focus to work well. I think you can get a more accurate focus with it than just looking through the viewfinder if you don't have a special focus screen installed.
    edited April 11, 2011
    Perhaps magnification is not the right term. It's really just crop and zoom, using the same controls that you use to zoom in on one area of a pic you are reviewing in camera. The main use I see for it is when you are shooting in light that is too low for normal auto-focus to work well. I think you can get a more accurate focus with it than just looking through the viewfinder if you don't have a special focus screen installed.

Your photo is real good proof of how it works. Never thought about the low light situation. I ran into that the other night. If I had known how to use live view and did manual focus I could of gotten the shot. Gonna read up and try it out today. Then I might return tonight and try the shot out :D
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I like it Richard.....well done!! :Dgary
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    This shot makes me want to see more. Look at all those textures just waiting to be captured.

Nice shot Richard!
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    After burning my brain considering Walters recent 2 pics and his possible point, I came in to check out what you had going... Before reading down
    into the thread I pondered higher meaning in the shot. All my mind could
    come up with was "What is this? Some kind of test shot for exposure or
    what?" :D And then there it was in your admission. rolleyes1.gif
    Is it Dada or Parody? mwink.gif Dizzy just considering it. Glad I don't have to think
    about it anymore. Totally over my head to even try. Nice you fessed up or I
    would have continued on feeling lame.
    Michael
    edited April 12, 2011
    Thanks, everyone. thumb.gif

@Michael: Just to be clear, it was done as a technical test shot but I liked the result. Nothing philosophical here--just some lines, textures and light.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    After burning my brain considering Walters recent 2 pics and his possible point, I came in to check out what you had going... Before reading down
    into the thread I pondered higher meaning in the shot. All my mind could
    come up with was "What is this? Some kind of test shot for exposure or
    what?" :D And then there it was in your admission. rolleyes1.gif
    Is it Dada or Parody? mwink.gif Dizzy just considering it. Glad I don't have to think
    about it anymore. Totally over my head to even try. Nice you fessed up or I
    would have continued on feeling lame.

Or,... is it?

mwink.gif

Thanks, everyone. thumb.gif

@Michael: Just to be clear, it was done as a technical test shot but I liked the result. Nothing philosophical here--just some lines, textures and light.

Great light and colors in what looks to be a beautiful place.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 12, 2011
    wfeller wrote: »
    Or,... is it?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
    --Sigmund Freud
    or was it?

mwink.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Such a jumble of textures, shapes, angles, lines, colors etc. And yet it really works well. Very nicely seen and captured Richard. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)