Options

Speedlite question

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited April 9, 2011 in Technique
I have a D 700 and a sb 800.... shame on me for not having mastered it yet. Every time I don't use it for a few weeks it is like starting over. If I have it operating off camera will my on camera flash go off every time the sb 800 does?
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    On camera flash......
    Are we talking pop up flash set to be commander or another shoe mount set as master.....short answer is yes......I think...unless there is a way to actually set the master to just run the IR part of it (like a SU800)....I know I keep my popup set for commander with no power...it does flash but it doesnot affect the photo taken.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    you can set the pop up flash to "0" power and still trigger the off camera SB800. The pop up flash will contribute to the exposure to a very small extent..you won't notice it in most cases. There is an accessory to block the the optical light and let the IR through.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    If I understand your question correctly, then as already mentioned, the answer is yes - your pop-up flash would be used in commander mode to trigger the off-camera sb-800 wirelessly.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    THANKS! For some reason I didn't recall it doing that before and I got confused. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700