Options

creating triptychs or similar

gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited April 10, 2011 in Finishing School
I'd like to take a single photo and chop it up into 3...4...5 pieces of equal size to then frame each and hang next to each other. I know this is a basic thing, but it seems like something not so easy to do in CS5.

Any suggestions on how to best chop up pics into equal parts like this?

Thanks. :D
Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.

Comments

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    you could place a grid over the picture in CS5 and then crop to the grid lines.
    You can set the grid by going to
    Edit-Preferences-Guides Grid and Slices
    then from the drop down box in the grid section choose percent and enter your chosen amount i.e. 20 if you want 5 slices. Set the line colour to black (these lines wont be on your print).
    Go to View-Show-Grid and select this
    Go To View-Snap and select this
    Go to View-Snap To-Grid and select this

Your picture will now have the grid visible on your it.
    Select the background layer and using the retangular selection tool, select the first section of your print using the gridlines as reference, the edges of your selection will "snap" to the edges of the grid.
    Got to Layer-New-Layer Via Copy and a layer will be added which will be that one slice.
    Repeat this remembering to re-select the background layer before selecting your next slice or you will get an error message saying "could not make a new layer from the selection because the selected area is empty"
    You can now set up a new page and drag individual layers onto it to position as you wish.
    I know this seems long winded but once you try it you will see it is quite quick to do.
    The grid lines will be visible each time you open a picture unless you switch them off, then you have to switch them back on the next time you want them

Carpy
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Thank you...I'll try that out. I know it's a silly question and you'd think it would be more intuitive to do this...thanks again for the info.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.