Some C&C for a natural light shoot?

kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited April 9, 2011 in People
Hi,

I normally always use strobes, both indoor and out. Today I was experimenting with natural light.

Please give any C&C you can on this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevingeary/sets/72157626333339701/

Thank you so much!

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Welcome to dgrin.

My advice is to include a handfull of images in the post here for C&C. Asking folks to critique a whole shoot...and follow a link away from this site is a bit much.thumb.gif

Welcome to Dgrin.:D
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Sorry! Here's a few I picked out from the set...

Any/all critiques, comments are helpful and you don't have to be nice; I'm trying to improve as much as possible :)

5602235786_591e687f37_z.jpg
    5601648133_b9b16c8bd4_z.jpg
    5602233646_88f1c87564_z.jpg
    5602235488_f996bcbf3e_z.jpg
    5602234102_36f3edb40c_z.jpg
    5602235342_f78850c192_z.jpg
    5602233836_51b285e9e9_z.jpg
    5602234370_7108387b1c_z.jpg
    5601650809_7d6cbff374_z.jpg
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    I think you found some really nice light and you've got some nice compositions as well.
    Was the tone treatments a conscious choice for these since you shot in ambient light or do you choose this processing for your strobe work as well?
    I think some of these would look really good in B&W as I feel some of the skin tones are not appealing as in the 5th, 8th and 9th....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 9, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I think you found some really nice light and you've got some nice compositions as well.
    Was the tone treatments a conscious choice for these since you shot in ambient light or do you choose this processing for your strobe work as well?
    I think some of these would look really good in B&W as I feel some of the skin tones are not appealing as in the 5th, 8th and 9th....

Thanks! It was a conscious choice. I was trying to vary the processing looks as much as possible. I was also working on developing some new custom Lightroom presets.

I have B/W versions that look really good but I'm trying to work on my color processing as much as possible these days so those are the ones I posted.

Are you saying the 5th, 8th, and the 9th are the best toned or are those the ones you like the least?
    edited April 9, 2011
    kevingeary wrote: »
    Thanks! It was a conscious choice. I was trying to vary the processing looks as much as possible. I was also working on developing some new custom Lightroom presets.

I have B/W versions that look really good but I'm trying to work on my color processing as much as possible these days so those are the ones I posted.

Are you saying the 5th, 8th, and the 9th are the best toned or are those the ones you like the least?

Those are the ones I feel are not appealing skin tones though I suppose they are in the cross processing range....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 9, 2011
    Those are the ones I feel are not appealing skin tones though I suppose they are in the cross processing range....

It's split toned.

Maybe I can back off on the yellows a little bit next time...think that's what it has too much of?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    On my monitor they seem to be overexposed on alot of them. On the 2nd on the purple sploches out of focus bother my eye. You have the start of some really cute ideas.
    edited April 9, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    On my monitor they seem to be overexposed on alot of them. On the 2nd on the purple sploches out of focus bother my eye. You have the start of some really cute ideas.

I push most of my pictures to the right. The skin tone shouldn't be blown out though...are you talking about skin being overexposed or other parts of the photos?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    I push most of my pictures to the right. The skin tone shouldn't be blown out though...are you talking about skin being overexposed or other parts of the photos?

The skin seems overexposed.
    edited April 9, 2011
    It's split toned.

Maybe I can back off on the yellows a little bit next time...think that's what it has too much of?
    Yes, I feel as if the yellows are a bit strong overall on the skin tones
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 9, 2011
    Yes, I feel as if the yellows are a bit strong overall on the skin tones

I've gone back into lightroom and adjusted the opacity of the yellow split tone to make it less.

Is this better?

New...

20110408-_MG_3890-2.jpg

Old...

5602234102_36f3edb40c_z.jpg
    edited April 9, 2011
    Yes, I feel as if this is better suited to the treatment and touching on what Charles wrote, the hot spots on her skin are gone now.
    Well done
    Yo soy Reynaldo