first candids with canon 85f1.8

NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited September 30, 2005 in People
After much debate, I finally ordered my new lens. I had decided on a tamron, but changed my mind at the last minute. I have wanted a canon 85 f1.8 for a really long time. I took it out tonight and I think I am going to love it:lust I didn't have time to post process these yet. What to do you think?????
Nicole

my son Lucas
38043453-L.jpg

my daughter Eliana
38043457-L.jpg
my battery died before I could take a picture of my other son.

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    You didn't go wrong with this lens
    I had a 17-85 ef-s, and a 28 f2.8 and was not impressed with either over my Minolta lenses, neither has very silky bokeh, then I bought the 85 1.8 and I was like WOW, so this is why everyone shoots Canon (that and Minolta was so slow with releasing a DLSR). Shooting with this lens wide open will make you a more careful photographer. The dof is SOOOO small at 1.8 that if you aren't bang on in the eyes, they will go soft. Focus on the nose? Chin? eyes will look like crap, it is also just long enough that the 1/focal length rule really starts to apply. Don't believe me? shoot some hand helds at 1/45th of a sec and you'll be ready to send it back to Canon. Once you learn to use it as a highly precise tool you will never want to put it down. Just don't do what I have done and buy L glass, L glass will almost make you want to sell all your primes to buy more L glass. This lens is VERY sensitive to flare and backlighting, so if you don't have the hood, I'd go get one. For the nose/chin thing I mentioned before, I usually stop down to f2 or f2.5 where this lens really starts to get sharp, and gives you SOME margin for error in focusing. Enjoy it.
  • NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Thanks for the pointers on this lens. I got it because as much as I love the 70-200 f4L, it is a little big to walk around with all the time. I think I will be as happy with the 85 f1.8. I had read about the problems with flare and ordered the canon hood. After your comments, I am glad I did. Nicole