Options

question about JPEG file exensions

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited April 9, 2011 in Finishing School
a question for a friend.

"I need to convert my file extension from JPG to jpg, the company that is placing the photos on my website told me that the all CAPS, JPG doesn't work. I manually changed all the file extensions, but it was time consuming. Is there a program that I could use or a setting on my computer that I'm not seeing that would be more efficient? "

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    What does your friend use to process the images....photoshop has batch capabilities
    and i use this to rename and number my images at which time I can choose the
    extension...I have never seen a difference between JPG and jpg...I have used both.ne_nau.gifscratch
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    On the Mac I use and love A Better Finder Rename. But you didn't mention which OS. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    amadeus wrote: »
    a question for a friend.

"I need to convert my file extension from JPG to jpg, the company that is placing the photos on my website told me that the all CAPS, JPG doesn't work. I manually changed all the file extensions, but it was time consuming. Is there a program that I could use or a setting on my computer that I'm not seeing that would be more efficient? "

Thank you.
    If you are running Windows, a simple DOS command is all you need. Put them all in one folder, open the command prompt window from the Start menu, change directory to the folder, then enter:
    rename *.JPG *.jpg

Done.

If you're on a Mac, you can do something similar from a terminal prompt.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    What does your friend use to process the images....photoshop has batch capabilities
    and i use this to rename and number my images at which time I can choose the
    extension...I have never seen a difference between JPG and jpg...I have used both.ne_nau.gifscratch

Art, it's probably a LAMP website, so their server software and file system are case sensitive and the software expects the extension to be a ".jpg" in lower case.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    On the Mac I use and love A Better Finder Rename. But you didn't mention which OS. ne_nau.gif

There is a Windows version as well, TO.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin