Busy day at the Columbia River Gorge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited April 15, 2011 in Landscapes
On a single day, my friend Koveh and I were able to hit Metlako, Punch Bowl, Elowah, Wahclella, Horsetail, Fairy, Wahkeena, Multnomah, and Latourell Falls. I've wanted to do this before the but the weather never cooperated, on this day it was overcast and raining the entire day which is perfect for waterfall photography (and not so good for the camera gear). I hope to repeat this trip in May when all the fresh green vegetation is out.

Here are photos of some of those falls, arranged in chronological order.

#1: Metlako Falls

1232080051_gesjg-L.jpg

#2: Upper Punch Bowl Falls

1232080932_xDQ5D-L.jpg

#3: The rushing waters of Eagle Creek

1232077902_7Pg2G-L.jpg

#4: Fog and steam along Eagle Creek

1233573974_jrdr9-L.jpg

#5: Raging Elowah Falls

1232086425_fRFWH-L.jpg

#6: Forest on the Elowah Falls trail

1235609596_c78hZ-L.jpg

#7: Fairy Falls

1233416102_vxp9p-L.jpg

#8: Latourell Falls

1233429641_jVuE3-L.jpg

#9: Rainbow on the Columbia

1229919866_4nY4z-L-1.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Great stuff, Ron! That had to have been an incredible, but tiring, trip. I like #3 for the curved shapes of the water. I like #5 best overall--nice composition, great subject, and lovely colors. Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    So beautiful, as always, Ron. I love the rainbow shot; the colors are so strong.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    Pretty awesome stuff, Ron. Love that misty PNW. I like 5, 8 and 9 the best.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Wow - just beautiful. It doesn't get much better than #9.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    WOW Ron, incredible photos!! That rainbow is spectacular!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    You certainly know how to abuse your camera and come away with spectacular photos.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Great stuff, Ron! That had to have been an incredible, but tiring, trip. I like #3 for the curved shapes of the water. I like #5 best overall--nice composition, great subject, and lovely colors. Well done!

Yeah, it was tiring (I had to drive 6 hours roundtrip too), but it's worth it. Next time I might even pack water while on the trails! :D
    So beautiful, as always, Ron. I love the rainbow shot; the colors are so strong.

Kristine

Thanks - the rainbow was really intense, we had seen another pair earlier in the day but weren't in place to photograph it. This one we saw and sped to a spot that would be good and only had a minute or so to photograph it before it disappeared.
    kdog wrote: »
    Pretty awesome stuff, Ron. Love that misty PNW. I like 5, 8 and 9 the best.

Thanks - nothing like a little condensation on the filter, you can either fight it or embrace it (with all the rain and waterfall spray it's a losing battle so I just live with it).
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Wow - just beautiful. It doesn't get much better than #9.

Thanks!
    ront wrote: »
    WOW Ron, incredible photos!! That rainbow is spectacular!!

Ron

We were really lucky to be in the right place for that rainbow shot.
    Cuong wrote: »
    You certainly know how to abuse your camera and come away with spectacular photos.

Cuong

Thanks - cameras are meant to be abused, I just wish the 5DM2 was a little more robust like the 1D series :)
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    great stuff as always, Ron. love the waterfalls,but my favorites here are the misty forest and the shot from Crown Point... marvelous!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Great shots. 4 and 5 are my favorites.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    You never disappoint. 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 are really, really good.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    What are you the marathon man? Great series as always, you never disappoint. I like how you add in #3 , I have a bad habit of missing these smaller vignettes. It looks like Elowah falls has some new trees/limbs that are now in the stream or perhaps you just have a closer shot than I remember, just seems to be different than when I was there in Oct. # nine almost looks like a Sundog rather than a rainbow. Nice job man.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Nice job, Ron. I remember your post from this area same time last year and I think you did even better this time around!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Great show Ron!

Thanks Marc - hopefully it'll be even better in 6 weeks :)
    squirl033 wrote: »
    great stuff as always, Ron. love the waterfalls,but my favorites here are the misty forest and the shot from Crown Point... marvelous!

I wish I could take credit for the rainbow but I was just lucky :)
    bskaran wrote: »
    Great shots. 4 and 5 are my favorites.

Thanks!
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    You never disappoint. 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 are really, really good.

Thanks for your diplomatic way of saying 1 and 2 suck ;-)
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    What are you the marathon man? Great series as always, you never disappoint. I like how you add in #3 , I have a bad habit of missing these smaller vignettes. It looks like Elowah falls has some new trees/limbs that are now in the stream or perhaps you just have a closer shot than I remember, just seems to be different than when I was there in Oct. # nine almost looks like a Sundog rather than a rainbow. Nice job man.

More like the half-marathon man, where the marathon is periods of walking 3-4mph with many breaks to take photos - not a terribly impressive athletic achievement :) The impressive part is also driving 6 hours and doing it all on 3 hours of sleep!

And yes, Elowah Falls looked quite a bit different now than fall. One of the mossy trees that's overhanging the creek on the right was completely stripped of moss sometime in the last 6 months. There must have been some pretty crazy waterflow.
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Nice job, Ron. I remember your post from this area same time last year and I think you did even better this time around!

Thanks Chris!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Great stuff, as always Ron. bowdown.gif Looking forward to get to this place in August wings.gif
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Wow!! Incredibly beautiful series!! :-)
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Awesome! #5 = Double Wow! :D