Options

Canon EOS 10D - Still worth putting money in to?

CuttingCutting Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 30, 2011 in Cameras
Hey Guys,

I feel like i just hit the jackpot in that a friend handed me down a Canon EOS 10D which i've been having an incredible time playing with. While its an awesome toy, i can tell even now that the shots aren't on par with even slightly newer cameras.

She's lending me a lens until i find one, but with my reading I've turned up that this one only takes older EF lenses, while even the 20D takes EFS and more. The EF lenses aren't cheap either and seem to be the same price if not more expensive than the EFS.

My question is - If i'm going to need a flash, lenses, case, all the jazz, should i just go up to a better body on one of the many sales of guys clearing out their old gear? It really looks like if i pick up a lot with something in the Nikon D80 or Canon 30D range, i can get a full setup for not too much more than just completing the 10D, and i don't want to dig myself in to a hole i can't get out of when it DOES come time to upgrade and my gear is long obsolete.

That said, i really am just a hobbyist, so maybe i should just try to spend less than $100 on a cheap lens, skip the flash, keep it basic until i really know.

If i decide to go with a newer cam, I'll just pass the camera back to her and tell her to find another worthy party!

Thanks guys!

DC

Comments

• Options
    Tim SnowTim Snow Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    It all depends on your budget and your intentions. I had my 10d years ago (when it was new) and bought a 20d a year later. The 30d is basically the same camera as the 20d, very few differences. A good step up would be maybe a 40d.
    In using the 20d and 10d in tandem for a few years before I retired them, I actually preferred the 10d's images. I found the colors to be nicer and they had more contrast. The only upside to the 20d was a bit less noise at high iso.
    If you are willing to invest $600 or so you can get a brand new Rebel type camera with a kit lens which may be a better investment. The construction is not as robust as a XXd body, but you get the latest technology with benefits such as better high iso performance, better frame count, bigger buffer etc, ef-s lenses if that is important...
    Either way, whatever you buy just use it a lot, and enjoy it!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    The 10D is a very fine camera. I use a friend's 10D all the time, and the only problem I have with it is the tiny screen. Actually, the 20D's screen is not much bigger. As to image quality (IQ), I find the 10D to be very good, at least compared to my 1DII. Sure, it's no 5D, but for a crop body it'll do the job well. I'd say for a hobbyist, it's fine. (Although, if you're shooting action, the 5fps of the 20D/30D might be nice).

As to the accesories, it depends on what you shoot. I don't have a flash, and I'm fine. That said, I shoot sports most of the time. Until you feel like you really could use a flash, I'd say just invest that money in lenses.

Don't "just try to spend less than $100 on a cheap lens"; the only lens worth buying that's around $100 is the 50 1.8 II, in my not-so-humble opinion :). I mean new; if you want to buy used, you can find lots of nice USM glass. (Check out KEH and Adorama Used Dept). The 28-105 3.5-4.5 is a good lens with fast AF and semi-bright aperture. If you can swing it, go for a 28-80 2.8-4 ($600, used) or a 28-70 2.8 (also used, not sure of the price). The 100-300 USM is a very good telephoto lens, and it's pretty cheap compared to other telephoto zooms from Canon (stay away from the 75-300s).

EF lenses aren't much, if at all, more $$$ than EF-S lenses, and you're digging yourself in no hole. Buying into EF-S could even be getting yourself into a hole, because if you want to upgrade to 1.3x or full frame later you can't use them.

What do you like to shoot? Oh, and nice gift and very nice friend!
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Older cameras ain't too bad. I'd still have my 10D if I didn't gift it to someone that really needed a better camera than just a digital P&S. I still use my 20D to shoot sports because it's framerate is much better than my 5D or 5DII. That said, I only shoot outdoor sports with it and it still misses a lot more shots than my other cameras in AI Focus, but hey, it works and I can't afford anything else right now either.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    The 20D framerate is better than the 5D... well, yes it's 5fps vs the 4fps of the 5DII. Does it really make that much of a difference?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    yeah.. every little bit counts in baseball... unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Plus that crop factor REALLY helps in baseball.. I'd be getting 6MP images or less anyway with the amount of cropping I'd have to do.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited April 12, 2011
    Since you are just starting out, I think it makes more sense to get yourself a good zoom lens that will still be worth having with a newer body. I'd look for a used Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 or 28-75 mm /f2.8, both of which have excellent optics and are relatively affordable. There's lots to learn about photography that doesn't depend on having the newest, fanciest equipment. After you gain some experience you will have a much better idea of what equipment will be best for the kind of photography that interests you.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Great, thanks for the advice everyone. For the most part i like scenes from strange perspectives and action sports photography (fair amount of surfing, watersports, skate) - I was turned on to the 70-210mm 3.5-4.5 with macro by a friend. Its a little more in my range for a starter lens and I'd be complimenting it with a 50mm f/1.8 prime.

If not that, then the 50 prime with the 28-135mm f/3.4-4.6 which is a little more expensive but supposed to be very good. Any info about the 28-135mm vs the 70-210 for my purposes would be great. My main concern is the lack of stabilization on the 210.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    I would think the 70-210 would be good, because it looks very similar to my 100-300. You might also look at the 100-300 USM, as it is not as fast aperture-wise but gives more reach. Looks like they're both about $150. Either of these lenses would be good alternatives to the more expensive 70-200.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Cutting wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the advice everyone. For the most part i like scenes from strange perspectives and action sports photography (fair amount of surfing, watersports, skate) - I was turned on to the 70-210mm 3.5-4.5 with macro by a friend. Its a little more in my range for a starter lens and I'd be complimenting it with a 50mm f/1.8 prime.

If not that, then the 50 prime with the 28-135mm f/3.4-4.6 which is a little more expensive but supposed to be very good. Any info about the 28-135mm vs the 70-210 for my purposes would be great. My main concern is the lack of stabilization on the 210.

Great to hear you are enjoying yourself. 28-135 covers the range most people use most of the time and the 50mm is a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Excellent. For my purposes, i think the 28-135 & 50 compliment are the way to go. While searching for those, i stumbled across the 420EX speedlight. What are your thoughts? it can be had for <100, but is it worth saving that money in favor of the 430EX for my limited indoor/evening photos?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Sounds like a good buy. The 420EX will do all the basic things you need and is compatible with 10D.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I feel like i just hit the jackpot in that a friend handed me down a Canon EOS 10D which i've been having an incredible time playing with. While its an awesome toy, i can tell even now that the shots aren't on par with even slightly newer cameras.

Hey DC. You can create amazing photos with nearly any camera. The 10D
    is a very capable camera and unless there are specific attributes that
    limit you I see a reason to move to a newer camera. Granted it is always
    nice to have the latest and greatest. But if I was you I'd keep the Camera
    to play and learn with it. After all it is free! While you cannot use
    Canon EF-S mount lenses on the 10D there are other excellent and
    affordable lenses that do work on the 10D. Like the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II.
    Alot of Sigma and Tamron "EF-S" lenses can be mounted on the 10D too
    btw.

Here is a shot I took with a 10D and a cheap (130 bucks) Tamron 70-300
    lens on vacation in coratia when I was starting with photography.

coratia.jpg
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Most of my lens purchases were made when I still had my 10D. They worked very well on that camera, they worked even better when I upgraded the body to a 40d. I think you'd only regret any investment if you find you want to switch to Nikon.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    tendimtendim Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2011
    My question is - If i'm going to need a flash, lenses, case, all the jazz, should i just go up to a better body on one of the many sales of guys clearing out their old gear? It really looks like if i pick up a lot with something in the Nikon D80 or Canon 30D range, i can get a full setup for not too much more than just completing the 10D, and i don't want to dig myself in to a hole i can't get out of when it DOES come time to upgrade and my gear is long obsolete.

If you expand your 10D setup, you'll only be pigeonholed with the booster (if you get one) and batteries. Most other accessories are part of the Canon EOS system, and are compatible with other EOS bodies. I bought my 550 EX II flash for my 10D setup, and I now use it with my newly acquired 1D MkII.

The 10D is a very capable camera, and as long as your target output medium can be supported, there is really no reason to upgrade. If you are only shooting for web or small prints, then the 10D is more than capable.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    The 10D is not a dead end...
    Although I would not purchase a Canon 10D, it is still a viable DSLR camera and the accessories for this model are usable with most later cameras.

Batteries: The BP-511a Battery is used throughout the x0D series up to and including the 50D...

Lenses: The EF lenses used with the 10D are compatible with all the EOS DSLR cameras, including the 7D, the rebels, the x0D series, and the 1D series...

Memory Card: the CF card is compatible with the 7D, the x0D series up through the 50D as well as some of the Rebel series. They are also compatible with 1D series cameras (the EOS 1D Mk-iii has slots for both CF and SD memory cards).

Flash: The Canon EX model Speedlites (220EX, 270EX, 420EX, 550EX, 430EX (series) and 580EX (series) are all compatible with the entire line of EOS DSLR Cameras.

Remote cables: There are different cables for x0D and Rebel cameras. However, generic cables are quite inexpensive if you need to switch them.

The 24-105mm f/4L IS and 24-70mm f/2.8L lenses are great lenses and can be used on any EOS DSLR. The 70-200mm L (series) lenses are also all great lenses and can be used on the 10D and on any other EOS DSLR.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2011
    I've used my 70-200 f4L on the 10D before, and it's great. I just don't like the small screen, but I can live with it.

The 1D Mark IV screen is a little bit better, you may want to consider that model mwink.gif
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Hey Guys,

She's lending me a lens until i find one, but with my reading I've turned up that this one only takes older EF lenses, while even the 20D takes EFS and more. The EF lenses aren't cheap either and seem to be the same price if not more expensive than the EFS.

That said, i really am just a hobbyist, so maybe i should just try to spend less than $100 on a cheap lens, skip the flash, keep it basic until i really know.

If i decide to go with a newer cam, I'll just pass the camera back to her and tell her to find another worthy party!

Thanks guys!

DC

you can get some inexpensive EF lens - e.g. 50mm 1.8, 28-135, etc. If the old 10D still works use it!