Maybe 3rd Attempt to do a Portrait - plus ?'s how to test focus on a canon...

jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
edited April 16, 2011 in People
Can someone tell me how to make some test photos?
I dropped my camera and 85 lens from about 4 feet hit the concrete and bounced. Doesn't seem like there is any damage externally. I am not sure internally though....only about 1/5th of the pictures are in focus (please do not make this a canon/nikon debate). I assume that it is the camera that acquires focus and not the lens? Additionally, it seems like the point of focus is off as well. Example shooting at an eye and the elbow is in complete focus or shooting at the eye and the entire photo is out of focus. I changed lenses and still seems to have the same effect. Maybe just a bad day of shooting or just a bad day period?

Here are some of the better photos of the day.....
Again, please do not hold back on the c's after the last post I wasn't sure why I asked to be beat up though it's all about doing a better job and education so go ahead. At least this time I guess I have an excuse I dropped my camera maybe it hit me in the head when it bounced.

Thanks for looking and for the good the bad and the ugly comments.
1247220518_V9vjs-X2.jpg

#2 I was going to take the construction chaulk line out of the picture though it did kinda match the sweater....
1247221161_RWG8W-X2.jpg

#3 After teasing her she finally started to loosen up and have fun with it all. That was her attitude.
1247221744_BK73F-X2.jpg
1247222583_Wy3nQ-X2.jpg

#5 She tought I was crazy sitting her in this field of weeds. I have her sitting on something no worries.
1247223088_WrgDF-X2.jpg

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Seriously................... send your camera and 85 lens in to Canon. On the surface it seems like you do have an issue.

If nothing else a trip to Canon will eliminate a variable and provide piece of mind. This would be well worth it to me.

Sam
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I like the shots. They seem reasonably in focus though maybe just a tad soft. As far as focus testing..the lens and body both contribute to focus. One easy way to test body and lens is to put down a ruler on table and take some shots at and angle...put a focus point over specific number on the ruler and shoot at various apertures. You can check DOF and overal focus this way. Of course make sure the subject is well let and you are on tripod and all that. This should reveal any gross issues.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I had a similar experience with one of my lenses, and discovered that wide open it is always a tad soft, but stopped up just a bit it is sharp as can be. Just a thought.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    The images do seem a bit soft....definitely have Canon take a look at both lens and body....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    GRRRR...I wrote an entire CC, then accidentally hit the backspace button and went to the previous page... I'll try to sum it up.

Photos do all look a bit soft.
    1. Cute pose, but arms crossed looks awkward and uncomfortable.
    2. Most natural pose, but the lighting is a bit harsh and hides all the detail in her face. She's very lightly complected, so stick to shade when possible.
    3. Best skin tone in this photo. Pose is a bit goofy though, and I don't think she'd consider it a keeper.
    4. Nice closeup shot, although I wish it was pulled a bit further back. Also, have her step further away from the wood door so that the lens blurs it nicely, separating her from the background. Also, maybe try a diffuser so that you get less reflection and more detail out of her eyes.
    5. Love this shot, but the lighting is too hard for her light skin. If this was taken in the shade, it would be my favorite of the set by far.

Good luck with fixing your camera! Hope it's a quick fix.

Theo
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Thanks for the posts....
    Bottom line....don't drop expensive gear.
    I will try the ruler thing before I send it back.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Your imgaes seem abit soft.
    Use a tripod and tape a section of the newspaper with lots of type on the wall. Make sure it is absolutely flat on the wall. Make sure your camera is level and perpendicular to the wall, not tilts of any sort. Focus and see what you have after you process the file.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Backgrounds still a problem.
    Shots in all green will generally have a green skin tone.
    Hold off on the tilts until you get the regular stuff down.
    Are you doing any post processing, these look straight out of the camera. They might sharpen right up with some unsharp mask.
    This pretty young lady is going to yield some great photos....keep working with her...she is a natural.
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    For senior photos--IMHO-- I think 3 & 4 are the best, however take the time to clean up the shot in 4 during post. Process the eyes a little sharper, get the hair out of that eye and clean up the acne on the chin a bit. I don't mind the tight crop on it and usually seniors and mom's like the tight shots. It will make a great b&w conversion as well.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
    edited April 16, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Backgrounds still a problem.
    Shots in all green will generally have a green skin tone.
    Hold off on the tilts until you get the regular stuff down.
    Are you doing any post processing, these look straight out of the camera. They might sharpen right up with some unsharp mask.
    This pretty young lady is going to yield some great photos....keep working with her...she is a natural.

Thanks Zoomer,
    I do some post or rather I do not know what I am doing in post.
    Unsharp Mask? I assume that would be a photoshop thing.
    Thanks for the comments.
    edited April 16, 2011
    So the long an short of the camera and lens drop...
    Seems that everything is a okay. I had a friend come over we did some tests, he has the same camera as I...Did I say some tests well for 3.5 hours we tested. Based on one test we determined at a certain angle my camera or lens was back focusing after some adjustments we were able to get both cameras to have the same out put. Then we hand held the cameras and took a few shots same position now my focus was way off. Change the focus adjustment back to factory and we could produce the same shot from both cameras.
    Bottom line.....I have no clue what I am doing.
    We came to the conclusion that maybe it was a bad day.
    If the pictures are not so sharp my guess is now it is post processing and narrow depths of field either that or a crappy portrait taker.
    Either way I learned something.
    Try try again.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    What fstop were your test photos at? Did you notice any difference between wide open and stopped up a bit?