Pageant Event Photography

AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited April 11, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So, some where in the last year, I started doing beauty pageant photography - now I'm getting invited to pageants to shoot! :) It's a nice feeling and it's been a hard learning curve. I wanted to see if you all would give me feed back on a recent event. I have come a long way in a year with these pageants so it's a good feeling to get better - but I want to be event better...

Here is how I shoot:
Canon 50d 70-200 IS f/2.8, IS is on, One Shot Focusing, Single focus point in the center. ISO 640 or perhaps 800. I normally shoot Manual f/4 1/125, although I change it up a bit if I need to. I'm now using the large flood lights you get at Home Depot/Lowes - work lights I think. I used 5,000 Watts of lighting my last shoot.

Technique: I focus on the eyes and shoot them from eye level or below mostly, even if that means I'm sitting on the floor. In fact, I"m a huge guy but I'm never afraid to get down low for the right shot. My keeper rate has gone up dramatically with the new constant lighting, and is about 1 in 4 to 1 in 3. In fact, I've tried using flashes in the past, the biggest problem is with auto focus, without constant lighting, my focusing is never as accurate.

http://jorange.smugmug.com/2011Pageants/Haley-Easter-Bunnies-Pageant

I'm really not interested in flash photography for the event, it's a long event, and normally, I'm shooting anywhere between 4,000 and 5,000 shots in 5 or 6 hours and their is very little time to worry about equipment during the day.

But I'm really interested in what you think? I think my color balance is off? Anyways, fire away and make me better :)
Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8