Canon Camera Help

rraaphotographyrraaphotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 17, 2011 in Cameras
I am a starting photographer still in high school. Right now I have a Canon Rebel XSI, yes I love this camera but I really want an upgrade and this is why I am here posting. So my price range is 850 and below...
I want something that is sorta light like the XSI and possibly something with video but that can be optional and 15+ mega pixels.

I was thinking of getting the Canon rebel T2i. or maybe the T3i?

Anyone help me out in deciding?

here is my photography website just to show the types of stuff I take pictures of.
http://rraaphotography.blogspot.com

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    If you are comfortable with your Rebel, then the T2i and T3i are great. Those Rebels are pretty small; you may want something like a 50D (~$700, 15.1mp, nice big screen, but no video). The 40D/50D bodies have very comfortable grips that, once you hold them, you'll never want to hold your Rebel again :D I'd say you should go into your local camera store and hold some of the cameras.

The 60D is nice, you can probably find it for about $850. You might also want to consider investing in some nice glass instead of a new body. That $850 will buy a nice 17-55 or 24-70L ;~). And good glass on an average body is better than average glass on a good body.

IOW, 60D sounds nice, 50D if you can't afford a 60D, or T3i/T2i if you're happy with the ergonomics of the Rebel. Or maybe some nice glass :)
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    go glass
    Got to agree with CanonGuy's suggestion, the picture is made in the glass more than the camera. I still shoot with an 8mp 20d and will spend my next $$ on more L series glass. His comment about average glass/average camera is spot on, give it some thought.

I may be a bit extreme to the old technology side, but unless your current Rebel lacks something you really need (not just want), I would spend money on a good lens or two. The L series will blow you away if you haven't used them. The 24-70 f2.8 is a fantastic all around lens. In the future when you step up to the 7D (or 9D or 5Dmk VII??) the glass will still be with you.

If you must have the new camera the T2i is pretty darn good, and for a few bucks more you get the neat flip out screen on the T3 version. Again to parrot CanonGuy, if you don't really need video I would jump on a good 50D for $7-900.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    I wonder why you feel you need an upgrade? Money burning a hole in your pocket, wish to take Macro better, wanting to crop more? What? Why is >15 megapixels important to you?

The camera body is not usually the constraining factor and Rebels are ok cameras.

I looked briefly at your site. Perhaps a structured course in photography is more of a priority than new kit and I don't mean this to be a put-down. I just think you can get a lot more from your current kit and then you will know better what you are looking for.
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    I will echo the above poster. Megapixels is not it. Glass is where it is at. The XSI is a capable camera. Add some quality glass. Your budget will allow you a nice, pro lens to add to your current kit. An upgrade to a higher MP camera will not (IMO) noticeably improve your pictures (especially on a crop sensor).

Now if your really wanting video capabilities, I can see a possible justification for an upgrade.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    i will echo the above poster. Megapixels is not it. Glass is where it is at. The xsi is a capable camera. Add some quality glass. Your budget will allow you a nice, pro lens to add to your current kit. An upgrade to a higher mp camera will not (imo) noticeably improve your pictures (especially on a crop sensor).

Now if your really wanting video capabilities, i can see a possible justification for an upgrade.

+1
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    wings.gif

Dear
    DGrinners

I like to take landscape pictures and sometimes pictures of vegetables... don't ask :-)

Right now I'm using an old Argus C3 and the negatives are really small, maybe an inch. I've seen other people using cameras with huge negatives, I think they must be a foot or so! I'm a very creative person and actually do more work on my images in the darkroom than behind the camera. I don't want technology to overtake my artistic vision, but do any of you think I can expand my artistic vision if I got one of those cameras with the huge negatives?

Thanks in advance,
    Ansel

Why is >15 megapixels important to you?

The camera body is not usually the constraining factor and Rebels are ok cameras.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    I will echo the above poster. Megapixels is not it. Glass is where it is at. The XSI is a capable camera. Add some quality glass. Your budget will allow you a nice, pro lens to add to your current kit. An upgrade to a higher MP camera will not (IMO) noticeably improve your pictures (especially on a crop sensor).

Now if your really wanting video capabilities, I can see a possible justification for an upgrade.

I'll also agree! But if you want video then the newer T2i (550D) or T3i will work