America Southwest Part 2 of 2

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
Finished processing my images from a week of shooting across NV, UT and AZ. I posted a few in Southwest Part 1, and here are the rest of my favs from the trip. Enjoy!

1. "Pillars of Light"
A dazzling display of reflected light on sandstone pillars in this remote slot canyon of the Arizona desert.
1248541891_RRF4U-XL.jpg

2. "Terra Incognita"
Unique sandstone formations reflect sunset light in this remote region of the Arizona desert.
1248541674_puY2v-XL.jpg

3. "The Forgotten Land"
Monotone rendition of leading lines and sandstone formations in the Vermillion Cliffs wilderness.
1248541642_qymvc-XL.jpg

4. "Extraterrestrial"
The milky way and rising moon add a subtle glow to this unique landscape in the remote Arizona desert.
Credit to Marc Adamus for showing me this comp.
1248542097_D6kaY-XL.jpg

5. "Tales of the Red Rock"
A simple composition of a barren tree reflected against the sandstone glowing from sunset deep in the Escalante Wilderness.
1248541755_ReHEB-XL.jpg

6. "Inner Glow"
A fascinating study of lines and reflected light in this remote slot canyon in the Arizona desert.
1248541956_KkgoB-XL.jpg

7. "Sandstone Eruption"
The glow of the setting sun creates an explosion of sandstone color in this remote desert region of Arizona.
1248541780_GouF5-XL.jpg

8. "Aspen Abstract"
Slight intentional camera motion during the exposure creates an abstract image of a forest of aspen trees in several feet of fresh snow.
1248542300_hVXm7-XL.jpg

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Really a stunning series Chris. You are showing your photographic abilities in multiple ways with such a wide variety of color, texture, light and lines. I like them all buddy.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Chris, your stuff is always a treat to look at. If possible, I like this set better than the first. It's hard to shoot the landscape of the SW but I think you raised the bar a few more notches.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Really a stunning series Chris. You are showing your photographic abilities in multiple ways with such a wide variety of color, texture, light and lines. I like them all buddy.
    Thanks, Doug!
    schmoo wrote: »
    Chris, your stuff is always a treat to look at. If possible, I like this set better than the first. It's hard to shoot the landscape of the SW but I think you raised the bar a few more notches.

Thanks, Schmoo. These were a little trickier to process so they took a little longer than the first batch.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Great set, the colors on the first are fantastic! #4 is pretty cool too, I know that would be a tricky one to process and it looks seamless to me. I like the contrast in #5 too, well seen.
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Amazing!
  • johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Such an artistic set. You showed a great variety in color, lines, texture as well as lighting. I like them all, but the image entitled "extraterrestrial" takes the cake for me. Looking forward to see more from you!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    These are stunning. Some truly epic shots here.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    #3 and #4... Aaaaaaoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar

Really great series Chris. Me jealous now, me want to go soon on a photoshoot! mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif

Cheers,
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Great pictures. I just love the southwest.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Chris -- these are amazing! #1 is so beautifully composed that it is most definitely my favorite. thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    these are all very well done, but # 1, 4 and 7 are exceptional! that last one looks like it belongs in a modern art museum. really nice job, Chris! could you be persuaded to tell us which "remote desert region" these were taken in? ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited April 13, 2011
    Sure Rocky :)
    Copied those descrips from my website. They were from White Pocket, which if you've ever been is pretty remote! Thanks for the comments.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Okay, the lighting in each and every one of these is phenomenal. It's incredibly hard to pick a favorite but I am really drawn to #1.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited April 18, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments. #1 was the only "planned" composition--- I was in that slot in November but the azimuth of the sun was such that it didn't make the composition explode. So when I went back last month with that shot in mind, I worked it for about an hour to get it right, with a lot of help from the sun and reflected light. It ended up being my favorite, with #4 my second favorite, just because of how all the compositional elements of the image fall into place-- milky way aligned with peaks, rising moon just enough to cast a faint glow on the foreground. Thanks for all your comments and kind words.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Stunning work, Chris! Each one has so many possibilities for mood and emotion--and that makes me want to look at them every day. The aspen shot is simply breathtaking--I do feel I am in a museum with this one. Thanks for sharing your wonderful shots.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Stunning set as usual Chris. Love the composition and light in particular in #2 and the tonal range in #3.