Options

Moving to DSLR - hints for selling F-717?

Dave DBDave DB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 30, 2005 in Flea Market
I've had my Sony F-717 for 3 years now and have been considering the move to a DSLR. I started photography with an Olympus film camera - first an OM10, then an OM4 (which I still use).

The new Olympus E-500 looks interesting and might make me take the plunge to a DSLR. Any comments / advice; and what do you think would be a fair price for my F-717? (I'm UK-based).

Thanks in advance,

Dave DB

Comments

• Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Dave DB wrote:
    I've had my Sony F-717 for 3 years now and have been considering the move to a DSLR. I started photography with an Olympus film camera - first an OM10, then an OM4 (which I still use).

The new Olympus E-500 looks interesting and might make me take the plunge to a DSLR. Any comments / advice; and what do you think would be a fair price for my F-717? (I'm UK-based).

Thanks in advance,

Dave DB

Dave, take a look at ebay for the current selling price. I have just shifted a fuji s7000 for £250 and you can pick them up new for around £280. You may have to throw some extra's in like I did. A few filters, case, some batteries etc.
    Currently there's a few on ebay for around £150 but with a few days left, one is nearly closing and comes with a case, bids are at £200 already. Some are asking as much as £300 to £400 but with no takers!

Can't offer any advice as far as the Olympus goes. I have just got the 350d (yesterday) and looked at all the entry models and deemed this the best, but that is my opinion. The Nikon D50 looks very good value too.

Good luck.
    :D
  • Options
    Thanks Darren,

ebay is the most logical place of course. I might also consider parting with the OM4; after all, I don't really use it that much....

I should also check out the other similar-level DSLRs. Until the E-500 was announced, I'd not really seriously considered changing over from the 717. I can feel a visit to a decent camera shop coming on for a bit of hands-on window shopping!

Dave
  • Options
    AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    Hi Dave
    Dave,

We just recently sold our Sony 828 on Ebay...my wife got $100 more than I was going to sell it for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7543723914&category=107903&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_home

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=17794

..the moral to the story is, as SnapHappy suggested, 1st check out the recent selling prices on Ebay, then I would suggest to ask more than think the camera is worth (at least the first time around)!

:):
  • Options
    Thanks Anson,

your descriptions on ebay are useful. I think it's fair to say that my mind's made up - just a matter of making the decision over which DSLR.

Dave