Sentinel Tree

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited April 23, 2011 in Landscapes
Revisiting an old image of mine! Which treatment do you like better?

1)Darker more detailed background:
258180735_mCbrS-L-7.jpg

2) Lighter background:
312973187_vEJ3u-L.jpg

C&C Welcome!
The timeless wait.....-Old sentinel snag and conifer, Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park, State of Washington.

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    While the top image's color appeals to me more, the second sure does make the foreground subject stand out better. I guess it depends on your taste lol3.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    While the top image's color appeals to me more, the second sure does make the foreground subject stand out better. I guess it depends on your taste lol3.gif
    Thanks for looking and commenting, schmoo!

This was taken in (I believe) 2002 about a year before I went digital. Shot on a Pentax ZM SLR with Seattle/Photoworks Film and scanned to disc from the negative by them.

One of my favorite landscape images from that period of my shooting.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • cshoresalcshoresal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    1. It's a little more contrasty all around and I like the detail that brings to the wood and the little pink flowers, lower left.
    ~ Sally Rothenhaus
    http://photos.cShoresal.com
  • PhotophiliaPhotophilia Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I really like number 1. The color makes the image more interesting with greater contrast. Nice shot. It's fun to go back and look at photos that you've taken and see it differently than you did previously. :)
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    OK, here is my vote. I like the background of #2 the best, it is not a busy and #1 and it allows the viewer to direct their attention on the subject. But the subject tree ect has much better contrast in #1. So I would use a mask and paint back the contrast from image one to image 2. In other words, have #1 as the bottom layer and #2 as the top layer with an attached mask on #2. then paint in black to reveal the subject. Hope that helps. Nice shot btw, I like the composition.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    OK, here is my vote. I like the background of #2 the best, it is not a busy and #1 and it allows the viewer to direct their attention on the subject. But the subject tree ect has much better contrast in #1. So I would use a mask and paint back the contrast from image one to image 2. In other words, have #1 as the bottom layer and #2 as the top layer with an attached mask on #2. then paint in black to reveal the subject. Hope that helps. Nice shot btw, I like the composition.

Sounds like worth trying! thumb.gif

I haven't worked these images in quite awhile! Time to hook- up the drive they are on and fire up PSCS4!

Thank you for looking and commenting !

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk