setting sun on physical plant

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 22, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
So this would be the first image I'm posting here. I took it yesterday with the sun setting over campus. Its our physical plant. I really like the shadows wrapping around the smokestack. There is some post processing, and I guess I'm wondering what you think of the sky color? I liked it at first, but now I'm thinking its almost fake. Critique away. (sorry for the smaller size, I try to keep it that way so that I can post lots of pics on my *free school account - someday i'll spring for smugmug :D ).

2004-01-20c.jpg

Shot at f/10, 1/80s, 24mm with my EF-S 18-55.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    Hey Erik,

For what it's worth (probably not much) here are a few comments:

I think the color looks very good. Shoot that same image on slide film and the color would probably look about the same.

I'm curious to see how it would look if you were to try to get rid of some of the blue cast on the snow. It might look really funky, but then again it might look good.

Have you tried it with the bottom cropped to loose the road/sidewalk/wall thing in the bottom left corner?

Nice work!

-Eric
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    I also like the blue sky. I assume the shot is about the chimney. If so, I'd try to keep the chimney along one one of the 'thirds' of the screen (following the rule of thirds.) I think it's a weaker composition because it's in the middle of the shot. I think the base is OK, the shot needs something in the foreground. Be interesting to see if the base looked better if it were lightened a tad.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I also like the blue sky. I assume the shot is about the chimney. If so, I'd try to keep the chimney along one one of the 'thirds' of the screen (following the rule of thirds.) I think it's a weaker composition because it's in the middle of the shot. I think the base is OK, the shot needs something in the foreground. Be interesting to see if the base looked better if it were lightened a tad.
    Good comments. The base was in fact giving me some trouble... its a road, as you can see, and occasionally a car would come by, which i thought would look cool, but I'd always miss it. As for the composition, yeah, the chimney was the focus, and i tried a few different variations on where it stood, but I also liked the shadows on the big boiler too. If I get some time today, I'll try to lighten up that snow on the bottom, maybe crop some too.

thanks all.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]