The Trotternish Ridge from the Old Man of Storr - Isle of Skye, Scotland

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
I recently took a journey to the Isle of Skye in the Scottish Highlands. I now have a lot of image processing to do :D

Some of the processing is already done and my end goal will be a "Journeys" post on my travels. I have one image that I'd like to share now on this forum.

This image was made from the base of the Old Man of Storr, looking south across Loch Leathan down the Trotternish Ridge towards the town of Portree.

C&C is appreciated :D

1249572155_m9h44-XL.jpg

Comments

• oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    That is beautiful. Well done.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Excellent! You really captured the look and the mood of Skye.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    That is beautiful. Well done.

Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun taking this shot as it's quite the scramble to the actual base of the Old Man of Storr. Very windy, not a lot of room to work in and an adrenaline rush (the fear that you or your gear will be blown over and down the rocks) that leaves little room for things like thinking about composition.
    schmoo wrote: »
    :jawdrop
    Thanks, schmoo!
    redleash wrote: »
    Excellent! You really captured the look and the mood of Skye.

Thank you -- I have more that I'll post in time. I found Skye to be very different per peninsula and have a good variety of pictures that start to make you wonder if they were taken on the same island. Skye was definitely a rewarding visit :D
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Wow. Nice pic. I would love to see that vista in person.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    love the lighting! very nicely done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited April 14, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Wow. Nice pic. I would love to see that vista in person.

Thank you :D It was certainly a pretty amazing moment. When I got up there, I knew that I had to get the camera out even with the limited space and the wind.
    squirl033 wrote: »
    love the lighting! very nicely done!

Thanks! The light out there was challenging at times, but I got lucky with this one. There were a lot of clouds and the sun would come out from time to time and paint various parts of the landscape in light. If you caught the light just as it was coming out, the contrast was usually fine, but ten seconds later you had more light than a sensor could properly capture in one shot.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Yea, this is a beautiful image. Love the mountains, gorgeous green color.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Wow, just wow. I have come back to view this several times since I first saw it. I've never been, but Scotland calls to my soul, and this is beautifully captured. I can't wait for your trip report. Well done!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Another Wow! First word I thought of as the photo appeared. Fantastic composition and light.thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Yea, this is a beautiful image. Love the mountains, gorgeous green color.

Thanks, Doug! The lighting helped give it that green. Another picture from further down on the mountain looking up at a different time has a very different green.
    Wow, just wow. I have come back to view this several times since I first saw it. I've never been, but Scotland calls to my soul, and this is beautifully captured. I can't wait for your trip report. Well done!

Thank you very much! Scotland is an amazing place and I didn't even cover a lot of ground on this trip. It's definitely a place worth visiting and I'm looking forward to going back. I imagine one could spend a considerable amount of time exploring Scotland.
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Another Wow! First word I thought of as the photo appeared. Fantastic composition and light.thumb.gif

Thank you for your kind comments! :D
    edited April 17, 2011
    Just posted my journey thread with more from Skye:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=195379
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Lovely shot!

One thing I would change - I'm a bit distracted by the green triangle at right… to the right of the big rock. It's too busy over there and I find myself eyes going over there and getting locked to the triangle, and spending way too much time locked over there between the sky and green triangle.

Initially I thought it would be nice if I could see that entire rock (i.e. there were more space on the right of the frame). If you don't have that composure, though, it might be worth just cropping off the right edge until you eliminate the triangle entirely (so, crop off right 10% of the photo). When I do that the photo "feels" a lot better to me.
    edited April 19, 2011
    CatOne,

You make a good point...Here is the edited image with that out:

1257550458_NH4WJQF-XL.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Beautiful shot in composition and lighting.