Southwest England Seascapes... C&C please

lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited April 17, 2011 in Landscapes
I have recently returned from a great roadtrip around the southwest coast of England. This was my first chance to use my new ND and grad ND filters and I couldn't think of a better location. I've added all the 'keepers' from this trip to my 'England' Album. I also put a bit of a story about the trip on my blog.

1250445507_24GSR-L.jpg

1250446892_yqoRY-L.jpg

1250447606_7WMhC-L.jpg

1250447361_kqj42-L.jpg

I definitely learnt a few things from this trip. Most important was to keep my filters clean. On a few of my photos it looked like a plague of fireflies had just invaded.

Any ideas on how I can improve these types of photos in the future will be greatfully recieved.

Thanks for looking

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    I really like #1 and #4! Excellent work thumb.gif You certainly picked an excellent location to test out ND grad filters :D

For images of the sun right at the horizon, you may be interested in looking into reverse gnd filters. I haven't bought any of those yet, but if you look at the design, they are certainly better for that time of the day as they'll keep more of the natural gradiation in the image. They start out light then get dark in the middle and go clear below that.

Cheers,
    Karl
  • lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    karlabbott wrote: »
    I really like #1 and #4! Excellent work thumb.gif You certainly picked an excellent location to test out ND grad filters :D

For images of the sun right at the horizon, you may be interested in looking into reverse gnd filters. I haven't bought any of those yet, but if you look at the design, they are certainly better for that time of the day as they'll keep more of the natural gradiation in the image. They start out light then get dark in the middle and go clear below that.

Cheers,
    Karl

Hi Karl, thanks for your comments. I probably should have mentioned it in my original post, but I was actually using a reverse gnd filter for some of these. My memory's a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure I had it on for both 1 and 4.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Awesome! #1 made me wonder as the sky is darker up top, but now that I look at it, that's only on the right and not on the left side of the image. So to think that it was off was wrong on my part.

Absolutely wonderful images :D
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
  • Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Really like number 4, never used NDs myself as I tend to rely on Lightroom, I'll get there some day.
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England