Options

Grappling Tournament

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited April 15, 2011 in Sports
I shot another grappling event last weekend. Pretty cool sport to watch and one I am thinking of trying myself. Grappling is mostly Jiu Jitsu. But it can incorporate many styles or not styles of various other martial arts or wrestling. There is no striking, no points and not very many rules. This event was not timed either. Basically you wrestle someone until they give up/ tap out. One of the matches lasted over an hour. Imagine wrestling someone for 1 hour with no breaks!

So besides being a challenging sport to do, it is a very challenging sport to shoot. It is all ambient light, no flashes allowed. At this location there were up to 8 matches going on at once. It was also in a gymnasium with those horrible gym lights above and some windows on the sides that caused quite a few issues.

#1 Submission by sweat drips......
1250168112_cqETb-L-2.jpg

#2 Cute!
1250168012_Z5Pif-L-1.jpg

#3 The guy on the bottom is winning at this point.
1250642305_cBx94-L.jpg

#4 Lots of choking going on.
1250168353_KngxW-L-2.jpg

1250167910_wneLm-L-1.jpg

1250168478_S4ELP-L-1.jpg

1250168601_VvnjF-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    I used to compete, no gi, those are some of the better photos I've seen of this sport. As for a match lasting an hour... I can tell you, to the fighters, it feels like 2 mins.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    Thanks man!

It does look fun. I have been to another tournament and a seminar doing photos. I am going down to the gym I did the seminar photos for and trying it next week. I have never done anything like it before other then some wrestling in JR high. Not sure if my back and neck can take it. But it might help with it too. I got pretty torqued racing downhill bikes a few years ago. I will just have to try and see.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    It does look fun.
    Get help. Seriously. eek7.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    I'm guessing 80-200 on the D3?? No exif.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    I shot these with the 80-200 AFS on the D3s at f3.5 to get a little DOF. Shutter speed ranged from 1/200-1/800 depending on which direction I was facing. ISO was 12,800 :O
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    Thanks man!

It does look fun. I have been to another tournament and a seminar doing photos. I am going down to the gym I did the seminar photos for and trying it next week. I have never done anything like it before other then some wrestling in JR high. Not sure if my back and neck can take it. But it might help with it too. I got pretty torqued racing downhill bikes a few years ago. I will just have to try and see.

get yourself a DR-5 right angle view finder.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    get yourself a DR-5 right angle view finder.

I was thinking one could be cool for this. At least to use for part of a day shooting. It really kicks the crap out of you being on the ground all day in the same crouched position. This event I shot for about 8 hrs. I did really good though. I only took about 3500 photos.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    ISO was 12,800 :O
    Damn. And all this time, I was happy with my D700. Damn. The VISA card is cringing as I type.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    I was thinking one could be cool for this. At least to use for part of a day shooting. It really kicks the crap out of you being on the ground all day in the same crouched position. This event I shot for about 8 hrs. I did really good though. I only took about 3500 photos.

Well, it is great for other things too.
    Macro, other extreme angles, and etc...
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Damn. And all this time, I was happy with my D700. Damn. The VISA card is cringing as I type.

It was damn dark in there. 1/200 at 12,800?? Dark stuff.

Fred, I see that thing has a 2x mode too. That is cool and would help a ton for macro focus. I wish for action there was a view finder that gave a slightly smaller view. Maybe 80 or 90% instead of 100%. It would help me framing constantly. Sometimes I feel like I look around my viewfinder. But I wear glasses too. If I don't pay attention I find I will pull the frame one way or another.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Really great work! Nice and low, good detail/sharpness and good exposures. Very well done. If you're going to get involved, make sure you have good health insurance - dislocations, sprains and some minor breaks are in your future :)
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    Really great work! Nice and low, good detail/sharpness and good exposures. Very well done. If you're going to get involved, make sure you have good health insurance - dislocations, sprains and some minor breaks are in your future :)

Thanks man!