Options

#74--second attempt "a toy"

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited April 17, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm going for a Kubrick vibe which may or may not be the way to go. While I am currently really liking this idea, I am already thinking of ways to improve this concept while also thinking of yet another shot.

Any thoughts? I know "judging" this to vote is going to be difficult, and possibly even giving advise will be difficult.

1251209269_JxTtd-X2.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    I'm not sure if the green color cast will be seen as part of a Kubrick 'vibe' or bad PP... headscratch.gif

If the former and not realized by the viewer, it may run against you. ne_nau.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the green color cast will be seen as part of a Kubrick 'vibe' or bad PP... headscratch.gif

If the former and not realized by the viewer, it may run against you. ne_nau.gif

Don

Agh thanks Don!
    I know that "green" and "blue" have meanings--blue being "danger" on my non calibrated monitor it looks more blue--but either way if it looks like plain old bad pp, that isn't good.

I have another idea brewing. I just don't know if I can pull it off headscratch.gif.

Thanks for the brutal pp, lol.

ON a side note--from what I'm reading, Kubrick was completely detail oriented, a perfectionist, which is the opposite of me. I think if I'm going to do this right I have to try and be a little more like that.
    Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Agh thanks Don!
    I know that "green" and "blue" have meanings--blue being "danger" on my non calibrated monitor it looks more blue--but either way if it looks like plain old bad pp, that isn't good.

I have another idea brewing. I just don't know if I can pull it off headscratch.gif.

Thanks for the brutal pp, lol.

On a side note--from what I'm reading, Kubrick was completely detail oriented, a perfectionist, which is the opposite of me. I think if I'm going to do this right I have to try and be a little more like that.
    Thank you.

I like that cross processed look. but the red seems to pop and draw attention. Also, the tone of the duck is...odd. It makes me wonder about it and pulls me out of the image, if that makes sense.

I think all filmmakers are detail oriented. There is nothing in a film (docs aside) that happens by accident. Everything is controlled and is there for a reason.....which is enough now to drive you crazy wondering 'why did he do that and what does that mean?"

Although mine is a bit easier to understand, my sense is there may be some that have not seen particular films, so I agree this round will be very tough to select from. Not knowing what inspired the image and what the photog is trying to express until afterward. But that makes for a bonus "ah-ha" moment after the selections are made.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    I like that cross processed look. but the red seems to pop and draw attention. Also, the tone of the duck is...odd. It makes me wonder about it and pulls me out of the image, if that makes sense.

I think all filmmakers are detail oriented. There is nothing in a film (docs aside) that happens by accident. Everything is controlled and is there for a reason.....which is enough now to drive you crazy wondering 'why did he do that and what does that mean?"

Although mine is a bit easier to understand, my sense is there may be some that have not seen particular films, so I agree this round will be very tough to select from. Not knowing what inspired the image and what the photog is trying to express until afterward. But that makes for a bonus "ah-ha" moment after the selections are made.

Good Luck!

Thank you Froch,
    I have reworked it, but could again start from scratch. I'm wondering if this is an improvement. FWIW, the duck was odd colored, he was sort of grey and blue, he was supposed to be a replica of an old vintage duckie.
    Also I was trying to recreate a long hallway scene here but I'm wondering how I can make it appear longer.

1251393278_63Lhn-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    The only suggestion I have to make it look longer is PicNik. There is an "insta-thin" edit that might help a bit.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    I was thinking to make the hallway look longer, really get the camera down low and pointing up (probably have to prop the duck up on something) and a wider aperture to blur the backdrop more, so it just looks more like fading in to nothing if we can't really make out the finite end of the bookshelves that's in these shots.
    Or I guess the other option is reshoot in a longer hallway.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    The only suggestion I have to make it look longer is PicNik. There is an "insta-thin" edit that might help a bit.

thansk seascapes. I gave it a shot, it's not much of a difference. THanks for the suggestion!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Hi Liz!

I liked he processing you did in the first one myself.

Shooting with a wider lens is another way to make it appear longer.

Other than that, I like where you're headed here!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    I was thinking to make the hallway look longer, really get the camera down low and pointing up (probably have to prop the duck up on something) and a wider aperture to blur the backdrop more, so it just looks more like fading in to nothing if we can't really make out the finite end of the bookshelves that's in these shots.
    Or I guess the other option is reshoot in a longer hallway.

I'm on it!: )
    I have scouted a longer hallway--it's a change of scenery and a slight change of idea. Now to go and make it happen.

Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Hi Liz!

I liked he processing you did in the first one myself.

Shooting with a wider lens is another way to make it appear longer.

Other than that, I like where you're headed here!

Thanks Tom,
    I get carried away with my pp sometimes. I have picnik and LR3 available to me now--imagine what I would do with PS5rolleyes1.gif?

I had not thought to shoot for the challenge on that day and found myself at the STrand bookstore and when I walked down this particular isle I knew I had to try and make it happen. I had my oly E620 with my 50mm and wished I had my canon 5D with me instead!

I plan on reshooting something similar this weekend with a longer hallway and with the canon 5d.

thanks for the tips and for liking my crazy pp:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Sorry, Liz, I thought it was worth a shot!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/