Grand Canyon

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited April 21, 2011 in Landscapes
Just returned home from two days at the South Rim. Great weather and not too many people. I'll post more later, but here is one I particularly like.

Sunrise At Yaqui Peak

1251292949_F4jbv-XL.jpg

Comments

• TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Great shot!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Very nice Dan. :-0

Cheers,
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Fantastic!! I'm jealous - no such lighting both times I have taken a trip up there. Beautiful shot Dan.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Beautiful! Best, Pam
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Travel wrote: »
    Great shot!

Well thanks Travel, and welcome to dgrin :D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Really nice Dan, love those rays.
    edited April 15, 2011
    shniks wrote: »
    Very nice Dan. :-0

Thanks Nik
    Cheers,
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Fantastic!! I'm jealous - no such lighting both times I have taken a trip up there. Beautiful shot Dan.

I was very fortunate, but I did track the weather very carefully before deciding to go. I wanted to make sure the ozone level was low, and that there would be partial clod cover. When the time was right I took off. Learned all this from our friend Ron Coscorossa. You really have to be an amateur meteorologist to shoot landscapes rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I was very fortunate, but I did track the weather very carefully before deciding to go. I wanted to make sure the ozone level was low, and that there would be partial clod cover. When the time was right I took off. Learned all this from our friend Ron Coscorossa. You really have to be an amateur meteorologist to shoot landscapes rolleyes1.gif

Ain't that the truth! Being retired suddenly seems to have new perks. lol3.gif

Looks like it really paid off, too.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous Dan. The light is amazing.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited April 16, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Beautiful! Best, Pam
    Doug Solis wrote: »

Thanks Pam and Doug
    edited April 18, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Thanks doug
    schmoo wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth! Being retired suddenly seems to have new perks. lol3.gif

Looks like it really paid off, too.
    Thanks Steph. Yes, retirement is good. Yosemite in May
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous Dan. The light is amazing.

Still gotta get up your way for puffins. :D:D
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    I really like the feeling of depth by the multiple layers. It's tough to really capture the scope of the grand canyon in a photograph and I think you've done a great job there.

One issue that bugs me, though, is the foreground. There are lots of purple splotches all over the place; I assume they are snow but that means the color cast is so far off. Tried warming it up a couple thousand degrees? I know you can't get the foreground and sky both correct because one is pure shade and the other is sunlit, but I think that would improve things. It's too blue right now.
    edited April 18, 2011
    CatOne wrote: »
    I really like the feeling of depth by the multiple layers. It's tough to really capture the scope of the grand canyon in a photograph and I think you've done a great job there.

One issue that bugs me, though, is the foreground. There are lots of purple splotches all over the place; I assume they are snow but that means the color cast is so far off. Tried warming it up a couple thousand degrees? I know you can't get the foreground and sky both correct because one is pure shade and the other is sunlit, but I think that would improve things. It's too blue right now.

Thanks. Here is a re-do attempt?
    1256864694_X5XcKSg-XL-1.jpg
    edited April 19, 2011
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I honestly didn't even notice the snow in the original. I think it's because they were dark like their surrounding areas, but in the re-do I think they stand out a bit too much, like artifacts. ne_nau.gif

Curious to know what others think, too.
  • 08whitex08whitex Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I Like the first one
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Wow! Such magnificent beauty!!
  • SYMPLSYMPL Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Dan, just a suggestion. The little snowy bits are rather insignificant. Perhaps just selectively desaturating them a bit in the original would would suffice.
    The original is a lovely image.
    Gord
    A photograph is usually looked at, seldom looked into. Ansel Adams
    www.symplimages.com
  • Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    great photo
  • happionehappione Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Awesome shot, a reminder of the reason why i work...so i can retire...and travel to places like this.
    You must be stoked with the picture, personally i prefer the first shot (withouth the snowy highlights).

Thanks for sharing.
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Captured a feeling
    I was very fortunate, but I did track the weather very carefully before deciding to go. I wanted to make sure the ozone level was low, and that there would be partial clod cover. ...

I like the original interpretation. If you intended to capture a moody, clouded day, you succeeded remarkably. Why make the snow look sunny? Snow doesn't appear white in moody light.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011

Coscorossa!? lol3.gif

Here's how I look at it: the forecast should not be used to dissuade you from photographing something (if the forecast sucks everywhere, you can still find something worth photographing even if it's not your ideal light/situation), but the forecast can and should be used to break ties among several different locations or to encourage you to make a bit more of an effort than you would normally.

I like the comp of the second better, but if possible you should mute the snow a little bit so it's not as distracting.

Also - Yosemite in May eh? Going there during the full moon? Apparently the snowpack and waterflow is really high this year, some good moonbow opportunities.
    edited April 21, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    I honestly didn't even notice the snow in the original. I think it's because they were dark like their surrounding areas, but in the re-do I think they stand out a bit too much, like artifacts. ne_nau.gif

Curious to know what others think, too.
    08whitex wrote: »
    I Like the first one
    Stella7d wrote: »
    Wow! Such magnificent beauty!!
    SYMPL wrote: »
    Dan, just a suggestion. The little snowy bits are rather insignificant. Perhaps just selectively desaturating them a bit in the original would would suffice.
    The original is a lovely image.
    great photo
    happione wrote: »
    Awesome shot, a reminder of the reason why i work...so i can retire...and travel to places like this.
    You must be stoked with the picture, personally i prefer the first shot (withouth the snowy highlights).

Thanks for sharing.
    dbd wrote: »
    I like the original interpretation. If you intended to capture a moody, clouded day, you succeeded remarkably. Why make the snow look sunny? Snow doesn't appear white in moody light.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Coscorossa!? lol3.gif

Here's how I look at it: the forecast should not be used to dissuade you from photographing something (if the forecast sucks everywhere, you can still find something worth photographing even if it's not your ideal light/situation), but the forecast can and should be used to break ties among several different locations or to encourage you to make a bit more of an effort than you would normally.

I like the comp of the second better, but if possible you should mute the snow a little bit so it's not as distracting.

Also - Yosemite in May eh? Going there during the full moon? Apparently the snowpack and waterflow is really high this year, some good moonbow opportunities.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful feedback. thumb.gifthumb. Moonbows wings.gif
    edited April 21, 2011
    A Couple More
    1251498002_cnrZa-XL-1.jpg

Snow On The Rim

1255767499_bhcCf3P-XL-1.jpg