Canon 7d Problem

Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited April 14, 2011 in Cameras
I use a 7D and have tried 2 wired shutter releases that are approved for the camera. Neither of them works to focus or release the shutter. Pressing the button does not do anything at all. I have tested one of them on another 7D and it worked just fine. Has anyone ever had this experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Big Red

Comments

• JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Forgive me if this is too obvious, but do you have the drive mode on the 7d set to self timer/remote?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I will have to check when I get off work. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 14, 2011
    When all else fails, do a system reset on the offending camera body. If the camera works on the defaults that just means there is a particular setting that's not cooperative.

Make a note of any settings that you changed on the camera first.

Turn off the camera. Pull the main battery "and" the CMOS backup battery. Turn the camera power switch "on" and leave the camera alone for around 15 minutes. Turn the power switch off and reinsert both batteries. Turn the camera on and see if you now have proper operation.

If the remote works gradually reintroduce the user settings until you find the culprit setting.

If the remote does not work after the reset then there may be a problem with the camera and the remote socket.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    You maybe unlucky as well!
    I had my body with me at the time of purchase and we went through two just to find one that would work, and it ended up being an off brand cord. Had same problem with flash cord as well so in my case it was the nature of the beast for some reason.ne_nau.gif

Good luck:

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    The IR remote for the 7d, the RC1, is only about $20 - has always worked perfectly for me indoors and out. Just saying....

And yes, check that you're in the right drive mode - very easy to forget to do that (one day I spent 10 minutes changing angles and wondering if my RC battery was toasted until I noticed I'd neglected to set the camera drive!)
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    The IR remote for the 7d, the RC1, is only about $20 - has always worked perfectly for me indoors and out. Just saying....

And yes, check that you're in the right drive mode - very easy to forget to do that (one day I spent 10 minutes changing angles and wondering if my RC battery was toasted until I noticed I'd neglected to set the camera drive!)

The problem with the RC1 is that it doesn't help you in bulb mode for exposures longer than 30 seconds
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    For the 7D is there a remote that will start and stop video? I'm using a
    500+1.4x and the slightest touch bounces the video.

Live view is also a problem focusing, slightest touch bounces view.

Any suggestions?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 14, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    For the 7D is there a remote that will start and stop video? I'm using a
    500+1.4x and the slightest touch bounces the video.

Live view is also a problem focusing, slightest touch bounces view.

Any suggestions?

Typically you would/should "overshoot" any planned scenes, meaning that you start recording before the action and stop recording after the action. Any unneeded video is trimmed in post.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 14, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Typically you would/should "overshoot" any planned scenes, meaning that you start recording before the action and stop recording after the action. Any unneeded video is trimmed in post.
    Good point but don't always have that option, have to remember that
    though. Still have the problem of manually focusing that big lens in live view.
    Slightest touch to focus ring bounces screen terribly.
    Thanks Ziggy
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Um, the remote should work in all modes, at least it does on my 1DII. That said, I use a 3rd party one.

Is yours the Canon or 3rd party? Might just be a faulty remote.
    edited April 14, 2011
    Um, the remote should work in all modes, at least it does on my 1DII. That said, I use a 3rd party one.

Is yours the Canon or 3rd party? Might just be a faulty remote.
    Still using an old Canon RS-80N3, maybe upgrade? What's the latest?