Sepia, or not?

lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited April 16, 2011 in People
All right, time for me to stop lurking here. Here's 3 versions shot from a recent birthday party.

I find myself preferring the B&W with sepia, which has been a strong preference of mine in general, lately. I guess I'm not sure if this is a temporary phase of mine, or if it's something people in general would like. So I'd enjoy hearing the preferences of other photographers.

Other comments & criticism also welcome, of course :):

Color:
1251985113_gctXR-L.jpg

Color with sepia:
1251984776_2HnWq-L.jpg

B&W with sepia:
1251984487_7t4zk-L.jpg

(For anyone peeking at the EXIF data, the lens I used was the 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, which does not have any electrical contacts with the camera, so no lens or aperture data is recorded).

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Heh, perfectly conflicting opinions from the start.

I was lucky on the timing; I had been trying to get a shot where she was resting her chin in her hand, but her dad's arms were in the way (because he was lighting the candles). The instant he finished, she blew them out (without waiting for him to push the cupcakes closer). So I missed the shot I was aiming for, but got a better shot instead.
  • N-IceN-Ice Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I like no 1 the best given the subject matter. It's a kiddies party and should be full of color and smiles :D

SmugMug
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    ^^^ Exactly why I think the sepia works. It's different and dramatic. Too easy for a shot like this to look like a snapshot.
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Excellent photo. I see why you're conflicted, because I like all 3 versions! I think though that I leans towards #1.
    edited April 15, 2011
    met wrote: »
    Excellent photo. I see why you're conflicted, because I like all 3 versions! I think though that I leans towards #1.

Thank you met, and thanks everyone for your input.
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    I am leaning towards #3, I think the treatment draws me much more to look at her face, and not be distracted by all the other things in the background.
    Canon Fan
    edited April 15, 2011
    I am leaning towards #3, I think the treatment draws me much more to look at her face, and not be distracted by all the other things in the background.

I think one of the reasons I enjoy sepia and b&w in general is that they get rid of distracting color in the background.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Well I am going with the 2nd! I think in the first the skin tone is a little red and the sepia levels it out nicely with her hair color! JMO! Great pics!
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    I love colors all around, but in this case, I have to agree that # 3 takes you straight to the subject.
    Nice job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beer.gif
    edited April 15, 2011
    Well I am going with the 2nd! I think in the first the skin tone is a little red and the sepia levels it out nicely with her hair color! JMO! Great pics!

I thought her skin looked a little off... I took a closer look, and tried to tweak the white balance, but getting her skin looking better turned the tree behind her green, which I found odd.

Then I went through other pics from the party and remembered that those cupcakes were sitting on top of a bright pink table-cloth. 11doh.gif So yeah, I guess even a mild sepia treatment can help smooth that over...
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    not