Some Local Waterfalls

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
After hearing about it I headed to Uvas Canyon (1hr South of San Jose) to take some waterfall shots while the creek still had decent water.

I am trying to work on my composition, and the first two and last two are sets of the same falls. In order to further my knowledge, I am curious to know if anyone has a preference within each set, and if you find the post processing lacking, adequate or overdone.

BTW, #4 has a dirty little secret. In the original image the base of the rock with the water flowing over it in foreground was right up against the edge of the photo, and I found to be a little visually dirstacting. I was going to crop it out, but used CS5s content-aware fill and the clone stamp tool to extend the image a little bit so that I could keep the rock. My filling and cloning could probably be better, but it is good enough for now.

Thank you.

1248995514_q6JUb-XL-2.jpg

1248995847_VkLC6-X2-1.jpg

1251624057_jrhap-X2-1.jpg

1251641960_6Tm3N-X2.jpg

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    You nailed the shutter speed. Just enough motion blur without losing the detail. Well done.
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
  • racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    i really like 3 and 4...good job
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Ditto on the shutter speed! What was it exactly?

Nice work!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I like the last set the best and the #4last image the best. I like the angle you took to the main falls rather than straight on, and I like the smaller rocks in the foreground to lead through the rest of the image. Just seems to be a bit more balanced. But I especially like the fact that the tree laying in the falls in image one and two is gone.
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    That last image is the winner for me, followed by #1. very nice set.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Beautiful series!! :)
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Thank you! I appreciate everyone's comments.

I now realize my first post was confusing; the two sets are of different waterfalls. 1 & 2 are of one fall, and 3 & 4 are of another further up the hill.
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Oh yea, shutter speeds. They are as follows, all at ISO 100. I was sort of all over the map as I was experimenting with different settings to see what worked best. Circular Polarizer used for all, and an ND grad on some.

1 - 0.6s @ f6.3
    2 - 3.2s @ f16
    3 - 2s @ f11
    4 - 4s @ f11
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    These are very beautiful! Wish I lived close to some waterfalls.
  • mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    I was just there last month! I will try to post some of my shots later....I'll have to make sure to find some that come close to yours! Very nice!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Ditto to Doug Solis above--#4 is very nicely done. Well balanced and clean. The exposure is spot on to create some beautiful water, especially that foreground bit at the bottom. It might be nice to bring out some more detail in the dark rock on the left. It doesn't need much but some detail would help, IMO.

You're posting some terrific work--let's see some more!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    http://eyeseesage.smugmug.com/Nature/Uvas-Waterfalls/332/1197867152_cKqpP-L.jpg

Here is one of mine from the same park. Sorry about the link but I read the FAQ three times for posting images and still couldn't do it. Hope this works.
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Brad,

Great set of shots. I was there recently as well, but have only posted one shot so far over on flickr. It's a beautiful little spot and I'm surprised at how few photographers here in the bay area know about it.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    mom2sage wrote: »
    http://eyeseesage.smugmug.com/Nature/Uvas-Waterfalls/332/1197867152_cKqpP-L.jpg

Here is one of mine from the same park. Sorry about the link but I read the FAQ three times for posting images and still couldn't do it. Hope this works.

Welcome to Dgrin! Sorry the tutes didn't help but you're really close. Instead of wrapping the image URL in URL tags, just wrap them in IMG tags. Or you can use the little yellow "postcard" icon in the message toolbar to drop in the URL automatically.

Feel free to post your own thread, too!