Final Cut Pro X

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited July 9, 2011 in Video
Apple held an event to show off the upcoming release of the new Final Cut Pro. It wasn't an official launch, so there's no official Apple info up online yet. But it looks truly amazing, and at $299 it's a steal. Due out in June through the App Store.

Here's the best overall writeup I've found on it, so far.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Apple's big Final Cut Pro announcement a few days ago should be great news for current FCP users and for anybody who's maybe been on the fence about switching over or simply giving it a try.

I am thinking that this upcoming version X of Final Cut Pro will take non-linear editing to a whole new level of intuitiveness. There seems to be enough automation built-in so that a complete novice can start cutting with very little effort, but with enough unprecedented power and speed to make most professionals happy. And at $299 (June 2011) it's an unbelievable bargain that must be a nightmare for the competition.

The biggest thing for the dgrin community here: completely open-format timeline with no more rendering or transcoding. Works with any footage from any camera - DSLR's, GoPro's, AVCHDm you name it. You can mix and match and no rendering is required. This is quite amazing.

Browser.jpg

Another thing that could be interesting to the community of photographers here, is the fact that it'll come with built-in easy-to-use but powerful color grading capabilities. There is no picture of it yet, but it will have secondary color correction with power masks and shapes. And everything can be animated over time.

ColorBoard.jpg

It even comes with built-in looks:

Preset-looks.jpg

And one of the coolest features is the one-click-color-matching between clips. If you're interested, skip to the 15:30 minute mark in the video below. It also shows how the color grading works. The entire video is quite fascinating by the way. Enjoy.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/22341718?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&quot; width="860" height="484" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href=" Apple Final Cut Studio X presentation 2eme partie</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/pampuri">Emmanuel Pampuri</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;
    edited April 15, 2011
    I just found another big screen shot that reveals quite a bit about FCP X. Clearly visible is the effects window in the lower right hand corner for visual and audio effects.
    (Scroll over to the right corner. Sorry for the size, but I did not want to shrink it down.)

Final-Cut-Pro-X1.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Now that FCP X is out, I'd be interested to hear if any of you are using it and what you think about it.

I have mixed feelings, myself. I think that, for photographers who do some video fusion work, it could be an incredibly useful tool.

For my professional work it's completely useless. A ginormous step backwards. Unless something major changes it marks a dead end in the use of FCP in professional editing environments where collaboration is key. Our next upgrade could very well be to Avid. A thought which makes me shutter.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 27, 2011
    David, I agree - from our professional point of view, it's a step backwards. But I wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel yet. The biggest problem is - very few professionals have actually gone through the effort of really trying to understand all the new features. Most editors simply look at how this new piece of software can be turned into exactly what they're using right now. I remember, when some of us switched from using AVID's to FCP and all we kept hearing was - I can't do this - I can't do that. It's so different....

Even though I am very concerned about FCP X's professional future myself, I have actually invested in a first video tutorial, which I have started watching. Without a tutuorial, you're simply searching for similarities and get frustrated very quickly. http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/final-cut-studio-courses/final-cut-pro-products/final-cut-pro-10-core-training.html

I am discovering some extremely powerful tools. I WANT Apple make this work for us! The speed and power of it as breathtaking. And the keywording... I am really blown away by it. But the (or a) tutorial is really key to this. Most pro editors don't give it a fair shot.

Markus
    edited June 27, 2011
    THX1965 wrote: »
    David, I agree - from our professional point of view, it's a step backwards. But I wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel yet. The biggest problem is - very few professionals have actually gone through the effort of really trying to understand all the new features. Most editors simply look at how this new piece of software can be turned into exactly what they're using right now. I remember, when some of us switched from using AVID's to FCP and all we kept hearing was - I can't do this - I can't do that. It's so different....

Even though I am very concerned about FCP X's professional future myself, I have actually invested in a first video tutorial, which I have started watching. Without a tutuorial, you're simply searching for similarities and get frustrated very quickly. http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/final-cut-studio-courses/final-cut-pro-products/final-cut-pro-10-core-training.html

I am discovering some extremely powerful tools. I WANT Apple make this work for us! The speed and power of it as breathtaking. And the keywording... I am really blown away by it. But the (or a) tutorial is really key to this. Most pro editors don't give it a fair shot.

Markus

I'll check out the tute. It's cheaper than Larry Jordan's and as good as he may be, I tire of his overly genteel delivery. I do think this could be a fantastic piece of software for wedding photographers and the like.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 27, 2011
    ... and in addition to a video tutorial - Philip Hodgetts is offering a great PDF book for 5 bucks that explores the new metadata foundation in really great and hands-on detail: http://www.philiphodgetts.com/books/conquering-metadata-fcpx/

It's a shame that Apple's not offering that kind of insight to all professional editors for free, but that's a whole other issue. The entire company is completely stuck in their iPhone/make-it-as-easy-to-the-consumer-as-possible mode. But after reading that booklet, I am conviced that they've come up with a great foundation. Now they need to get to work to win the very segment of the industry back that they've always used to advertise and sell Final Cut Pro - the Cohen Brothers and the Walter Murches of the film world.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Just curious, are you shuddering about Avid just because it would be a change in your toolset or is it something specific to Avid itself?

DavidTO wrote: »
    Our next upgrade could very well be to Avid. A thought which makes me shutter.
    edited June 27, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Just curious, are you shuddering about Avid just because it would be a change in your toolset or is it something specific to Avid itself?

Mostly the first but also that moving from Avid to FCP was a step forward for me. I do not care for Avid. But, a lot may have changed in the 8 years since I've used it, so who knows.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 27, 2011

Just to add to David's comment: AVID has only recently allowed you to move things around a little bit more freely in the timeline. BUT - for example - if you want to manipulate a transition in the timline you can't just drag it longer, you have to grab a special "tool" first. And when you look at their graphic interface in general, it sure looks like straight out of 1991. For everything you want to do you need either a special tool or to still switch into a specific mode. Very cumbersome.

Long form editors don't seem to mind (and AVID does offer some great tools for them, I have to admit), but for short timelines, where you want to move around and manipulate clips freely and quickly, AVID is like walking with lead boots compared to FCP (and this is a direct quote from a professional trailer editor who started on the AVID, then movied to FCP and then had to go back to AVID again.)

Markus
    edited June 27, 2011
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited June 28, 2011
    If the following are all true (from this page but emphasis mine):
    • Does not open previous Final Cut Pro projects.
    • No third-party support for hardware monitoring or software add-ons.
    • Tape media can only be captured via Fire wire.
    • Defaults to media capture from camera.
    • No support for import or export of content to other editors or other finishing systems.
    • No mention of 3D or high-end workflow or deliverables anywhere in the documentation.
    • Limited XML and no EDL support restricts usability with other non-Apple software applications.
    • Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Server all discontinued with this release.

... this is not just disruptive to many current workflow setups, it actually "kills" many setups. Likewise those who are mid-project or who wish to rework parts of old projects need to decide if FCP-X is worth the effort.

As marketing savvy as Steve Jobs usually is, I am truly surprised that he would allow this to stand. If Apple does not at least continue support for the older product I would not blame FCP users for feeling completely alienated.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited June 29, 2011
    Tape support is dead. I wouldn't expect or hope for any of that in X. News yesterday was that .XML import support is about to happen, if you can believe the screen grab. That's one big complaint more or less hopefully "fixed" soon. Next up would be multi-cam support and maybe 2nd monitor support. Keep an eye on the boards for news of those. They're issuing refunds now - very unlike Apple - but with the firestorm they're trying to put out, what else can they do?

Found some vids of one of the FCPX fanboys, and he likes it. Look at some of his specific first looks here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Apple is now giving refunds to people unhappy with the software. That's pretty unprecedented for expensive software. I think they're starting to understand how bad this PR nightmare might become.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Koo, over at No Film School had a nice piece that Conan O'Briens staff Shared: link
    tom wise
    edited June 30, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If the following are all true (from this page but emphasis mine):
    • Does not open previous Final Cut Pro projects.
    • No third-party support for hardware monitoring or software add-ons.
    • Tape media can only be captured via Fire wire.
    • Defaults to media capture from camera.
    • No support for import or export of content to other editors or other finishing systems.
    • No mention of 3D or high-end workflow or deliverables anywhere in the documentation.
    • Limited XML and no EDL support restricts usability with other non-Apple software applications.
    • Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Server all discontinued with this release.

... this is not just disruptive to many current workflow setups, it actually "kills" many setups...

Apple just released their own first official Final Cut Pro X FAQ which provides answers to some of the questions above. (What took them so long, you might ask... Well, better later then never...)

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

I continue to be cautiously optimistic that it will be a serious tool for serious pros within 1 - 2 years. It's already pretty cool for people who bring footage in from various tapeless video sources and do not depend on collaborating with others for finishing their projects.

The good news for us serious pros is - FCP 7 will keep working in MacOS X Lion until FCP X is fully ready for us.
    edited June 30, 2011
    THX1965 wrote: »
    Apple just released their own first official Final Cut Pro X FAQ which provides answers to some of the questions above. (What took them so long, you might ask... Well, better later then never...)

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

I continue to be cautiously optimistic that it will be a serious tool for serious pros within 1 - 2 years. It's already pretty cool for people who bring footage in from various tapeless video sources and do not depend on collaborating with others for finishing their projects.

The good news for us serious pros is - FCP 7 will keep working in MacOS X Lion until FCP X is fully ready for us.

I just hope that Apple decides to continue basic support of the Final Cut Pro 7/FC Studio 3 and FC Server (and possibly FCE?). I also hope that device drivers can be quickly developed to support existing (old) hardware in "Lion".

Altogether Apple needs to assure existing professional customers that they are not obsoleted before they can be ready to transition (possibly 1-2 years).
    ziggy53
    edited July 1, 2011
    edited July 1, 2011

Yes. So does AVID.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited July 1, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yes. So does AVID.

I don't believe that Adobe has a product that can do all of what professionals want in a substitute product for FCP. Then again at least Adobe Premiere Pro has "some" capability for importing FCP 7 projects (something that FCP-X does not do).
    ziggy53
    edited July 9, 2011
    "Pro's" have been up in arms over the fact that FCP X can't connect to a "broadcast monitor" for traditional (old-style) video output.

Philip Hodgetts has some fascinating insight into what Apple was thinking.
    http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/07/more-on-final-cut-pro-xs-monitoring-solution/

He reminds us that FCP X has built-in Colorsync with its color engine using the very same high-precision floating-point processing technology as the "DaVinci Resolve" (arguably one of the most high end color grading systems for film and TV work http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/davinciresolve).

A little bit of an overkill for "prosumers", if you ask me.... mwink.gif

--- Markus ---