Innocence

WireFoxWireFox Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 16, 2011 in People
Emotive subject matter to many and becoming more of an issue in the UK too. I would value any comments on this part set (still have a couple in work)

innocence-XL.jpg

And two variants.

innocence002-XL.jpg

innocence002tex-XL.jpg

Comments

• SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Powerful images, especially the first one. Would fit excellent in an anti-gun-campaign. But these will spark controversy... we (in NL) just had our first spree-killer...
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Ahhh...selective color! No!! Lol.

They are edgy. The noise in the first one is distracting. But the selective color does them the most harm, IMO.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    While I appreciate the gun is unloaded.... I am just sooo freaked out that you don't have him with a straight trigger finger. Even for just a photo shoot like this, gun safety is super important. Next time he is around a gun, he is going to think he knows how to handle it.... and will probably put his finger on the trigger again. We have a friend who's son was messing around with a gun... shoved it in his pocket with his finger on the trigger and shot himself in the leg. I would hate for this to happen to your little model.

About the photos: I like the concept of the 3rd one the best, but the selective color does detract from it a bit. Your lighting seems to fit the mood of what you are trying to accomplish. He looks like a sweet kid, and with the juxtaposition of the gun it works in a scary kind of way.
  • WireFoxWireFox Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2011
    Ok perhaps it was way too early for a selective colour come back:patch

The noise in the first image is compounded by the introduction of PP film grain. I wanted a grittier feel to the image. Probably went too far...I tend to do all my PP whilst wearing Dachstein mitts...or at least it seems that way sometimes.
    While I appreciate the gun is unloaded.... I am just sooo freaked out that you don't have him with a straight trigger finger. Even for just a photo shoot like this, gun safety is super important. Next time he is around a gun, he is going to think he knows how to handle it.... and will probably put his finger on the trigger again. We have a friend who's son was messing around with a gun... shoved it in his pocket with his finger on the trigger and shot himself in the leg. I would hate for this to happen to your little model.

You are quite correct and your concern is most humbly noted. He does know the drill and it was made clear that this was an exception for the photo shoot.
    But these will spark controversy

I know, but then I have achieved what I set out to do. The child and the gun are very real combinations in our inner cities. I want people to think about that.

I thought I had better try full b/w conversion and guess what.....I much prefer it. Serves me right for trying to be too prosaic. It was one too many contrasts in the mix.

innocence002-XL.jpg

innocence002texbw-XL.jpg
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    You lighting in #2 is just fantastic. What did you use? I have to work hard to notice the gun in #1.
  • WireFoxWireFox Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2011
    Thanks Charles

Most basic of lighting here. Speedlite fired through a white brolly on his right and 32" circular reflector on his left. I also allowed a gentle natural light from the front. With these low key shots I find that the simpler the lighting set up the better. I usually turn the power right down on the speedlite too.

Steve
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Love #1...and the grain.