Live Oak Tree & Wildflowers - C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited April 27, 2011 in Landscapes
I shot this tree earlier in the week. I think I found the only field of yellow wildflowers in all of South Texas! It's not a very good year for flowers. I picked the two views I thought best but I can't choose between them. I also processed the first one in a couple of different ways. I'm not sure which clouds I prefer in 1 and 2. #1 was processed in Photoshop, the other two in Aperture 3.

C&C is welcomed!

Thanks, Lauren

1. Blue clouds
1252371764_Uc8TG-L.jpg

2. Whiter clouds
1252367559_5SQ7p-L.jpg

3. This one was shot a little lower, to eliminate the gap between ground and bottom of the tree
1252377051_fntd8-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Very nice Lauren
    Live oaks are such great trees. I like number 2. As 3 seems lacking without the base of tree.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Thanks, Robert. They are great trees, indeed. I've seen some huge trees around here! I appreciate your comment about the base of the tree, that makes sense. I would have had more options if I could have set up in the field, but it was fenced.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thought I'd ask for any further C&C on my tree shots.

Thanks, Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    First of all I agree with Robert, that image #3 would have been ideal had there been some of the base of the tree or at least some seperation between the canapy and the yellow flowers, that said I still think it is my favorite for the following reasons. I like seeing more of the flowered hill contour, it simplifies the image, you don't see other bushes or fence posts on the left, you barely see the wire fence in front of the tree. If your open to blending two images why not take the best of both images and use the tree with the seperation. If I were choosing between #1 or 2 I would choose #2. It looks like a really nice spot that you have found.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    This shot is screaming for a wide lens. It would have allowed you to get closer to the tree to include the trunk, and you still would have lots of flowers in the foreground.
    edited April 26, 2011
    Doug - Thanks for the comments and suggestion. I may give a try with combining the shots.

jpc - I could not get any closer as the land was fenced. I thought about my 10-20 lens but felt it made the tree too small. Now I have to wait until next spring to see how the wildflowers look.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    image-wise I think the third is strongest. That the tree has no visible trunk doesn't bother me since I know it has one. the distractions Doug talked about are gone and that's good, too. Possibly this could use a hint of vibrance /blacks/saturation. not much...a hint. You did well considering your lack of flexibility. damn fences!