35l??

RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited April 16, 2011 in Cameras
I have a 70-200L F4 non IS that I haven't used to take a single picture, ever since I bought the F2.8 IS II. I got some tax refund this year thanks to Uncle Sam. So, I think I could use some of it to fund some new gear. I have 2 bodies, a XT and a 40D. I want 35L mainly for the indoor low light portraits, because the 50 f1.4 is a bit long on the cropped sensor. I tried 35 f2 before but never liked it, because of the buzz noise and focus inaccuracy/inconsistency. Right now I am using the 24-70 for most indoor shots. I checked the exifs and found I mostly use between 30mm-40mm. I think the 35L will be perfect for the focus length. Since the XT and 40D doesn't have the stellar high ISO compare to the newest models, the much bigger aperture of the 35L definitely will help. So what you do guys say? Shall I sell the 70-200f4 and buy the 35L with extra cash, or sell both cropped bodies, in addition to the lens and buy a new body, like 7D or even 5DII? :deal

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    RedSox wrote: »
    I have a 70-200L F4 non IS that I haven't used to take a single picture, ever since I bought the F2.8 IS II. I got some tax refund this year thanks to Uncle Sam. So, I think I could use some of it to fund some new gear. I have 2 bodies, a XT and a 40D. I want 35L mainly for the indoor low light portraits, because the 50 f1.4 is a bit long on the cropped sensor. I tried 35 f2 before but never liked it, because of the buzz noise and focus inaccuracy/inconsistency. Right now I am using the 24-70 for most indoor shots. I checked the exifs and found I mostly use between 30mm-40mm. I think the 35L will be perfect for the focus length. Since the XT and 40D doesn't have the stellar high ISO compare to the newest models, the much bigger aperture of the 35L definitely will help. So what you do guys say? Shall I sell the 70-200f4 and buy the 35L with extra cash, or sell both cropped bodies, in addition to the lens and buy a new body, like 7D or even 5DII? deal.gif

I would improve glass before changing bodies, and hold onto as much as I could. The two bodies you have are more than adequate, and even more adequate than that with top glass!mwink.gif I think you could lose the 70-200 f4. The 35L on the crop bodies, if used with due respect to its wide characteristics, would be a handy low light lens with excellent quality for your most common shots.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 15, 2011
    I have a 70-200L F4 non IS that I haven't used to take a single picture, ever since I bought the F2.8 IS II. ... I want 35L mainly for the indoor low light portraits, because the 50 f1.4 is a bit long on the cropped sensor. ... Right now I am using the 24-70 for most indoor shots. I checked the exifs and found I mostly use between 30mm-40mm. I think the 35L will be perfect for the focus length. Since the XT and 40D doesn't have the stellar high ISO compare to the newest models, the much bigger aperture of the 35L definitely will help. So what you do guys say? Shall I sell the 70-200f4 and buy the 35L with extra cash, or sell both cropped bodies, in addition to the lens and buy a new body, like 7D or even 5DII? deal.gif

You've done your due diligence by examining your shooting habits first. If you truly don't have a need for the 70-200mm, f4L USM then it won't hurt to sell it. (That lens is a standard part of my travel kit, albeit the IS version. I use it quite a bit.)

The Canon EF 35mm, f1.4L USM is a gorgeous lens and very popular for both crop and FF bodies. It is, of course, a "normal/standard" FOV on the XT/350D and 40D bodies. I'm not crazy about that focal length for head shots or head-and-shoulders, even on a crop camera. For other portraiture it can work pretty well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I could use the 70-200f4 for outdoors/travel. It is perfect when there is plenty lights. I don't absolutely 'must' have the 35L, I have 24-70f2.8. The click counters on both bodies are low. 11k for XT and 19k for 40D. Maybe I should just hang on what I have. ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I could use the 70-200f4 for outdoors/travel. It is perfect when there is plenty lights. I don't absolutely 'must' have the 35L, I have 24-70f2.8. The click counters on both bodies are low. 11k for XT and 19k for 40D. Maybe I should just hang on what I have. ne_nau.gif

The choice is ultimately yours, of course. The 35mm, f1.4L USM does let in 4 times/2 stops as much light as the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM and allows better DOF control. Used wide open, it (the 35mmL) is also more requiring of focus technique because of the reduced DOF.

There is no perfect answer to your original question because there are so many directions you could take. If you feel that your 70-200mm, f4L USM is no longer useful, by all means consider other options.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums