Mt. Haleakala

SneakerzSneakerz Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 18, 2011 in Landscapes
Got up at 3 am to see the sunrise from the peak of Mt. Haleakala in Maui. I don't regret getting up that early for one second. I am not 100% happy with the pictures, I see lots of potential where I can get better. I would love to get YOUR input though. Thanks a lot!

mt_haleakala1-XL.jpg
mt_haleakala2-XL.jpg

Comments

• Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    I think theyre good shots! It looks like these are 3 shot HDRs shot handheld. I also noticed that youre on a journey around the world and I would reccomend picking up a durabe, compact tripod. There are some great ones out there that will fit into your pack or backpack fairly cheap. Youre taking amazing shots and I think for someone who is serious about thier images, they should shoot with a tripod, especially for braketing and especially for the amazing places youre visiting only once.

Great shots though and welcome to DGRIN. Looking forward to seeing more of your travels!
  • SneakerzSneakerz Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    I think theyre good shots! It looks like these are 3 shot HDRs shot handheld. I also noticed that youre on a journey around the world and I would reccomend picking up a durabe, compact tripod. There are some great ones out there that will fit into your pack or backpack fairly cheap. Youre taking amazing shots and I think for someone who is serious about thier images, they should shoot with a tripod, especially for braketing and especially for the amazing places youre visiting only once.

Great shots though and welcome to DGRIN. Looking forward to seeing more of your travels!

Thanks Mate
    Sadly I "only" have 2 1/2 months left. I am going to be in Alaska and Canada though, so the potential for good shots would be huge :)

Actually I am using a GorillaPod SLR. I really like it because it's flexibel and easily fits in my Backpack. I noticed an issue a few weeks back though. It's not stable enough. the camera shakes when the wind gets to a medium strength and sometimes it will even shake from the shutter release eek7.gif

Anything you could recommend?
  • bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Love the view from up there, I have had some luck using a pole, or a rock to hold the camera against, I bought a gorilla pod and now use it for a off camera flash, it was way to loose to use for a dslr, a point and shoot maybe. What about wrapping a coat or jacket around the gorilla pod to stabilize it?
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Oh to share even 1% of the views you have seen!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Nice shot from the summit! Although I have to admit your watermark drives me crazy. It looks like the center of the volcano was cloud free? Its a bit hard to tell from your angle. Well done
  • SneakerzSneakerz Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    thanks all :)
    I will make the watermark a bit smaller when I get some time to do it :)

@ Doug, yes the crater was cloud free.
    @bbeck, I will try the jacket/coat typ. Seems like that could work. Otherwise I will just have to look for stones or something to cover from the wind.