Flood Preperations

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
We're flooding again, but not as bad as 2 years ago. Much more dangerous outside of town. Road closings every which way and with many roads washed out from the overland flooding. So I took some photos of the crew building the dike along 2nd St. This street runs along the river by the downtown dam.

1 -- Starting to work. They start in the evening and will work all night till finished the next day.

1245652295_ukye7-L.jpg

2 -- This is the water they will hold back from spreading into town. You can see the ice line to the left on the other side of the grove of trees. That is the normal bank of the river. To the right at the edge of the water you'll see a tall white pole/stick. That's the water height marker. 2 years ago water went higher then that hill. This hill was built up an extra 2 or 4 ft. last summer.

1245652161_7vt7a-L.jpg

3 -- The sun is setting. These trucks will run to the north side of town and get their dirt and bring it back here to dump.

1245652254_4HLgq-L.jpg

4 -- Morning brought fog .. thick fog. But they're still working.

1246382585_M9eco-L.jpg

5 -- It's amazing to watch these guys do their jobs. They have their rolls down as to what to do and move in rhythm.

1246382663_uPoEZ-L.jpg

6 -- Each truck is cleaned out after dumping their load. The clay is really sticky.

1246382633_T33ns-L.jpg

7 -- Talking over something.

1245652603_5Nyov-L.jpg

8 -- This is the finished dike doing what it's suppose to do .. hold back the water. I was standing on the other side of the Evergreen tree's taking most of these photos. The evening photos I was standing on the other side of the dike .. which is under water.

1250177487_tgXBJ-L.jpg

9 -- Different View. You can see the white stick/pole marker between the trees that I mentioned in photo #2. These last 2 photos were taken when the river was cresting.

1250177502_yjavw-L.jpg

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Hope you stay dry.

Nice shots and story.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Hope you stay dry.

Nice shots and story.

Thank you Brad -- glad you enjoyed the story and shots.

Our house is high and dry .. thank goodness.
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Shot 1 reminds me of the shot I took in Waterloo when the train derailed and the work trucks were lined up along side the road.

Hopefully you're not getting all this rain that we are getting.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    Shot 1 reminds me of the shot I took in Waterloo when the train derailed and the work trucks were lined up along side the road.

Hopefully you're not getting all this rain that we are getting.

Getting snow instead of rain. Melts the next day tho. Dikes are coming down in Fargo, but the outlying area's are getting hit hard with overland flooding.