Sunset @ Leo Carrillo State Beach - Southern California

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
I took this photograph almost 2 years ago. I just came across the set I took that day and I don't think I ever got around to editing them. If I remember correctly, I was pretty disappointed in the shots. I managed to salvage this shot, which is an exposure blending of 3 bracketed exposures. I simply added each exposure as a separate layer in CS5 and then masked them together using a combo of gradients and a soft brush.

(EDITED: added before shots and a few tweaks to the finish shot)

These are the RAW files I started with. These are straight out of camera... sensor boogers, horrible vignetting from thick polarizer on wide angle lens and flare included.

-2 EV
1255849131_PfMch5s-L.jpg

0 EV
1255849203_4sZT559-L.jpg

+2 EV
1255849233_x88vwMB-L.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well. I'm going to go shoot this same area again but this time use my GND filters to see if I get better results.

sunset%20%40%20leo%20carillo%20state%20beach_-X2.jpg

I decided to convert it to B&W. Not sure it works as well as the color since it loses the drama of the sky.

1255890797_Zhx6R6b-X2.jpg

So then I decided to blend the B&W white image with the color one. I think I like this one best. This new version brings out a bit more detail and tonal range in the water and rocks.

1255891795_dFC3k9r-X2.jpg

For those of you that don't know this little trick, I do it in PS.
  1. I take the color image and make a duplicate layer so now have two layers of the same image.
  2. I then add a third layer and convert it to B&W. You can use whatever conversion method you want, but the trick is to get a good amount of tonal range in the conversion.
  3. Once I'm happy with the B&W layer, I take it and move it one step down, so it's sandwiched by the two color layers. Your image will now be color again since the B&W layer is below the color one.
  4. Now, take the top color layer and change the blending mode to "Color". You should see a pretty dramatic change in the image.
  5. You can adjust the opacity of the B&W layer to taste or you can even add a layer mask to it and selectively mask in or out the effect on parts of the image. In this image, I masked out the effect it had on the sky.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Excellent work on that blending, Alex! I really like the balance in this shot between the foreground rocks and the upper right ones. And the detail in the foreground rocks is amazing! The water is just a bit too soft for me. Great timing on the sun's placement. I'll be anxious to see what you come up with on your return visit.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Thanks John and thank you Lauren.

I should post the originals so you guys can see why I was so disappointed originally. This finished shot is a far cry from what came out of camera. Let me know if you all want to see. I do have another exposure with a little more detail in the water that I suppose I can blend in but I think I prefer the softness of the water here. I like the contrast between it, and the detail in the rocks.

My Smug Site
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Beautiful shot, nice job with the processing. I love that beach, next time I'm in Cali, I plan to shoot there again!
    edited April 17, 2011
    I'd be interested in seeing the original shots. I always like to see what folks start with before they end up with a beautiful result like yours. Thanks, Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Beautiful shot, nice job with the processing. I love that beach, next time I'm in Cali, I plan to shoot there again!

When you do, hit me up and I'll join you. I used to surf Leo a lot. Haven't in quite some time. Not since the Kite Surfers started showing up.
    redleash wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing the original shots. I always like to see what folks start with before they end up with a beautiful result like yours. Thanks, Lauren

Lauren, added the before shots. A little embarrassed by them they're so terrible.

My Smug Site
    edited April 18, 2011
    Alex, please don't be embarassed. :D It really is helpful, and encouraging, to see what can be done with sub-par shots. What you created from 3 shots you didn't like was an image that everyone in this thread is raving about--it truly is beautiful.

And thanks for the tips on blending B&W with color. I'm going to try it.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    WOW I would never have thought to do anything with the originals, tbh. You had a vision and you achieved it. Love the final product!