Zoolander part 2

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 1, 2005 in People
I don't really know whether to jazz these up or leave them alone, or just pitch them! Boy do I have a long way to go to master portraits!
38163141-L.jpg

38163144-L.jpg

38163149-L.jpg

ann

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Yep, it's an art I haven't mastered either.

The first can be helped by the shadow highlight tool, but I would still trash it. The reason is the bright background in the upper left. It distracts and pulls you away from the subject.

#2 is nice. But her face should be highlighted more or lighter than the rest. I'm sure Rutt has some lab work that would get it there. Also, green probably isn;t the best color to wear for an outdoor shot ith a green backgound.

#3 is nice but I think a tighter crop would help it more.

So in my opinion, toss #1, jazz up #2, tigher crop on #3.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    They all seem a touch light to me. You might try deepening the shadows.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Yep, it's an art I haven't mastered either.

The first can be helped by the shadow highlight tool, but I would still trash it. The reason is the bright background in the upper left. It distracts and pulls you away from the subject.

#2 is nice. But her face should be highlighted more or lighter than the rest. I'm sure Rutt has some lab work that would get it there. Also, green probably isn;t the best color to wear for an outdoor shot ith a green backgound.

#3 is nice but I think a tighter crop would help it more.

So in my opinion, toss #1, jazz up #2, tigher crop on #3.
    15524779-Ti.gif

I would toss 1 and 2, maybe after some experimenting just for practice.

#3, could be a real winner, I would not necessarily crop tighter, but would crop to offset a little, basically get her out of the center a bit. After that, I would work on the eyes a little ala Owen, or perhaps some other technique (there is a post I could not find that describes a technique that goes as follows: Cliff notes version (dodge highlights 13%, copy separate layer, sharpen, contrast/brightness)) Just a hair more pop to the eyes and that is a very nice portrait.

FWIW, YMMV,

XO,

EDIT,
    I experimented a little bit with the picture, couple of additional remarks.
    1) the large white area created by the sweater kinda eliminates the options for a tighter crop, as the shirt becomes too big of a part of the picture.
    2) I tried the eyes, but at this picture size/resolution, the (eye)technique mentioned doesn't work very well, the original would likely work better.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    I think No. 3 is quite nice. I hope you don't mind me playing with it. I would crop it and take out the yellow cast on it. I played with CMYK to get it out. I desaturated a bit to take the orange out of the hair. This is the low resolution image that I downloaded, but I think it works pretty well.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog