Vivian Falls, New Zealand

DerwoodDerwood Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
Vivian Falls are south of Auckland, New Zealand. A beautiful spot although finding the right shooting angle difficult - there is simply very few spots to set up. Consequently, I needed to shoot upwards so ended up with the skies blown out somewhat. I tried on a very cloudy day, late evening but still found a tad too much contrast. Likewise an GND filter did not achieve too much. Hence the upper reaches are reasonably tightly cropped. I'd appreciate feedback!

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    The first thing i noticed about this pic was the lovely array of colors. You have really nice blues, greens and yellows here and it's magical.

Waterfalls can be really tough to shoot and I'm sure crawling around with expensive equipment on slippery rocks doesn't help. But you did a great job.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Really nice shot. I can imagine how tough these conditions were to shoot. Wish there was a vantage point/shooting position from the left of the rock so that it did not steal your foreground. Might want to consider cropping off the hot water in the bottom 1/6th of the frame. The star of the shot is the fall and the silky stream. The rock and blown out water are stealing that focus a bit right now.