Which macro rail do you use?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 21, 2011 in Holy Macro
Which macro rail do you use? Is it important to buy an expensive one? How should I decide which one to get?
Thanks!

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    I have a Manfrotto 454. To be honest, I have it but I rarely ever use it. No bug stays around long enough for me to utilise it plus I'm very rarely on my tripod when I'm shooting macro. Maybe I would use it when photographing stamen or something if I want to focus stack.

Only cost me £50 at the time so not a bank breaker I guess.
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    I have never used one either and couldn't find much info such as reviews on them. I just ordered the cheapie ~$70 store brand one from Adorama to try out with my mpe65. It should be here by the weekend and HOPEFULLY I can test it out soon after. If you want I'll let you know how it does once I get it.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    They certainly have their uses. they are excellent in controlling the focus point as you move through the focus planes for stationary objects but for bugs, I think it would have to be very dead :)
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    I will get a cheaper one.
  • MoonshaeMoonshae Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2011
    I have the Adorama house brand, two rail one (forward/back, right/left), and it works pretty well. Great for focus stacking. The downside is that it brings the camera that much further off the head, so there can be a bit of flex with the weight of the lens making things sag. But once you're aligned, moving the camera in and out or side to side is a breeze.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    I also have the Adorama model. Great for pre-focusing on a flower and waiting for something to land. Excellent for focus-stacking, also. Requires a tripod, obviously, which I'm going to try and get away from this year.