Event Portraits

WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited April 18, 2011 in People
Just posting up some of the portraits I took at a recent event I attended.

I had a small corner at the rear of the upper level in the club and just enough room to set up a single strobe firing into a refelctive umbrella.

1249321889_TYpss-L.jpg

1247758793_d8nhP-L.jpg

1253349997_mTkLBMx-L.jpg

Seeing how it was in a nightclub there was varying levels of smoke from the smkoke/fog machine and lighting changes to contend with, along with people standing/posing close to the light or sitting down further from the light and limited space for me to back-up for full lenght shots as I only had the 55mm prime ..... but all in all I'm pretty happy with how these came out with minimal to no post-processing or editing other than a crop and re-size prior to sending the images out the people.
If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
www.warped-photography.com

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Seems like you had a great time. Very cool idea.
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    This type of thing is always "No outfit - No Entry" so never a shortage of great subjects and always a brilliant evening :)
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Looks like lots of fun!!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    camera di illusioni per i animi imperduti

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited April 18, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    camera di illusioni per i animi imperduti

Neil

Hmmm, my Italian is a little rusty ..... Ok, a LOT rusty. I'll resort to google translator when I get home .... but one thing I do remember (maybe) is that in Italian, 'camera' means room, or space.
    So room of illusions, and something about the mind (animi) and imperduti has me stumped at the moment.
    Am I close?????
    edited April 18, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    Hmmm, my Italian is a little rusty ..... Ok, a LOT rusty. I'll resort to google translator when I get home .... but one thing I do remember (maybe) is that in Italian, 'camera' means room, or space.
    So room of illusions, and something about the mind (animi) and imperduti has me stumped at the moment.
    Am I close?????

Yes, very hot in fact!:D

Neil

edited April 18, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Yes, very hot in fact!:D

Neil

Righty-oh then - Google Translate gives me "room for illusions minds unmissable" I was close clap.gif ....... but not exactly sure what you mean headscratch.gif
    edited April 18, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    Righty-oh then - Google Translate gives me "room for illusions minds unmissable" I was close clap.gif ....... but not exactly sure what you mean headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gifGoogle has a certain way with words, don'it?!

"A room of illusions for souls not lost." (= church without the guilt)!

Neil

• SuicidnS13SuicidnS13 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Very cool... never thought of setting up a photostation at an event like that....hmmmmmmm
    edited April 18, 2011
    @ NeilL, my year 8, 9 and 10 Italian (that was more than 20 years ago) was stretched enough as it was with the words I got, much less organising them into the right order and meaning in English :)

@ SuicidnS13 - I don't know about other places around this world of ours, but a photo "booth" or portrait area of some sort at larger events and and parties is a pretty typical thing for Perth. Typically it's done one of 3 ways:
    - a larger set-up and there will be a desk with assisstants and a printer and you buy a print on the night,
    - shots are taken and the people given a business card with a link to a gallery which they can go to and order/buy prints,
    - or the way I do it and you take $$, names and e-mail addresses on the night and send them their pics after the event.

In my experience, people who print on the night charge too much for the average punter/party goer, printing slows everything down and you need more room, people want the digital version to post on Facebook and the like and they don't want to carry around and look after prints, so will leave it until later to get their pic taken and will either forget or will have run out of money. The only place I see printing on the night work these days is when it's like a large charity event, Ball, Gala style thing in a large function centre.

For what I do - a single light, access to a power point, a pen and a clipboard along with a small space set aside for me is all that's needed. When I send out the pics I include a link to my site so there's some self-promotion and it seems to work well as a nice little money earner on the side. Works for the event promoters too as they get an additional service/attraction to offer as part of the event.
  • TmetroffTmetroff Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    I really like the shadow in #1.. gives it a dramatic look