Sunset fishing in Ireland

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited April 19, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi everyone.
I was on my way home yesterday evening and snapped this man fishing off the pier in Garrison Co Fermanagh. I hope you all like it.
5629690560_f0cc0efe07_o.jpg
Sunset. by OakField Photography, on Flickr

Another pictures of the same scene straight out of the camera just to see the difference as i had my camera take this picture in RAW and had landscape selected with the color tone boosted to the last. Here goes, if this works i will save myself alot of time in pp.
5630729335_d91e823271_z.jpg
SOCC by OakField Photography, on Flickr

Regards
Patrick:D

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    This is one area that you can rely on great coloured skies throught the summer months during good weather. I am glad you like it.

Regards
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Hey Patrick, looks beautiful!

Certainly, it is clear that the processed image has a bit more "pop" and has been processed, and I guess I would have to say that from the standpoint of "perfection", the processed image wins.

However, I definitely would encourage you to not give up hope when it comes to playing around with in-camera processing. Even if you DON'T ever use the in-camera processing once you get on the computer, it can be very rewarding to make your images look extra gorgeous on the back of the camera. Try shooting the same scene with various different settings for contrast and saturation, and of course more importantly, work the exposure and white balance up and down to find the perfect in-camera exposure.

Of course when you find a truly epic moment to photograph, do be aware that cranking up your in-camera saturation and contrast will cause highlights and shadows to clip much sooner than they actually are in your RAW file. So, one thing I do is I keep one setting with the contrast and saturation turned DOWN a couple clicks, so that the image on the back of the camera looks very flat but in return I get a more accurate histogram / highlight warning. This allows me to push my exposure right up to the edge of the highlight threshold, which is important for capturing high-contrast scenes. :-)

Happy shooting!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Cheers Mat.
    I am experimenting with my black and white setting incamera and do find them very rewarding. Thanks again Mat

Regards