Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #75 (What came first?) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited May 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #75

Welcome to Round #75 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, April 18th, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, May 2nd, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: What came first?
Have fun with this one. Try to use your imagination and not use the obvious stand ins for this holiday themed challenge.

There are no editing restrictions in this round

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Have fun with this one. Try to use your imagination and not use the obvious stand ins for this holiday themed challenge.

Peeps pic
    So you don't want chicken and egg stories?:ivar
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    cromwellcromwell Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I'm really loving these contests and your hard choice of topics. I do tend to get a little obsessive, so naturally I've had this topic in my mind all day and I'm still not any further in figuring anything out than I was before you announced it. That, for me, is what makes it all that much more fun. At least this time, maybe I'll have to leave my dog out of it, not that that is necessarily a good thing, just something I've been aiming to do.....thought the same thing after the last announced topic though......hmmm....:)
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Try to use your imagination and not use the obvious stand ins for this holiday themed challenge.

Dang, Sean. I have some particularly photogenic chickens. :cry

1180417664_RGKRZ-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    So you don't want chicken and egg stories?:ivar

What I want is for everyone to use their imagination - If that is all you can think of then so be it mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    Dang, Sean. I have some particularly photogenic chickens. :cry
    I didn't say you couldn't use chickens, I was just hoping to push your brain further. :D

P.S. I agree they are quite camera friendly
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    Cromwell, I think you should use Winston every time. It's served you well, and I'd like to see your skill in incorporating him in every theme. THAT would be a challenge!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Cromwell, I think you should use Winston every time. It's served you well, and I'd like to see your skill in incorporating him in every theme. THAT would be a challenge!

I can see Winston wearing bunny ears and laying a colored ostrich egg.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I didn't say you couldn't use chickens, I was just hoping to push your brain further. :D

P.S. I agree they are quite camera friendly

Ah well...It is probably for the best. That rooster is a bit full of himself...never listens to me when I try to pose him. :D

Actually I think this is a great theme and should result in some creative work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    That idea has actually crossed my mind, Sandi. That would definitely turn some challenges into super challenges....like this one, probably.
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    I can see Winston wearing bunny ears and laying a colored ostrich egg.
    Laughing.gif. Don't forget the taped underneath dog tail replaced with a bunny tail.:)
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Good news: I finally have my computer back!! (I've been without for the last 8 days. :cry) Lots of upgrades, so it 'should' be better than new.

More good news: I actually have a couple of ideas for this one. I hope I can find time to do it & then I hope I can do it the way I want to do it.

The catch: I had to get a new hard drive because I fried my old one, so I have to reload ALL of my software programs. All of my documents & images are on external drives, but all of my software was on the hard drive. What a pain......

Sherry
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    Good news: I finally have my computer back!!

YAY! -- great news. It sounds like you did not lose any data and thats the good thing. Restoring a system with all the applications can be a pain but losing photos is much worse :cry
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Yeah, the only thing I lost was my email--all my contacts and saved emails. Bummer losing my contacts, but it could have been so much worse!

I have managed now to reload my software (finally) and I've shot my first set of images. Now I have to learn some new photoshop skills to put it all together. Right now, I only know some basic editing. To do what I want to do, I have to step it up and learn something new (which I think is half the point of these challenges). I'm just praying nobody else comes up with the same idea I am working on. I'm so NOT creative, so I know I'll wouldn't think of another idea if I lose this one.

Feeling the urge to hurry........:D

Sherry
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    so far... stumped.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    so far... stumped.

me too.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    alexis559alexis559 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Hi everyone... I'm new to this group and enjoy the intellectual challenges and translating them into photographs; however, I am just a beginner photographer.. I have a pretty good understanding of CS3 and a DSLR... so can someone suggest a similar site but for beginners?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    me too.

This is really a conceptual challenge, but I'm sure you both can come up with something. Think of cycles - carbon cycle, water cycle. Think of oscillations - tides, day/night, beginnings that are also endings. Think of things lost in antiquity: did mankind first control fire or develop weapons? Or beginning of time questions - who created the creator, what came before the big bang?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    what came before the big bang?
    I can't remember what was before breakfast.... oh yea sleep. mwink.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    alexis559 wrote: »
    Hi everyone... I'm new to this group and enjoy the intellectual challenges and translating them into photographs; however, I am just a beginner photographer.. I have a pretty good understanding of CS3 and a DSLR... so can someone suggest a similar site but for beginners?

get out of town!
    I was in your shoes too about two years ago.

My first entry still makes me laugh--hard.

I am a member of flickr etc. but this is where I learned EVERYTHING I know about photography to date.

Stick around and you will get there--this is one of the best places to learn.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    This is really a conceptual challenge, but I'm sure you both can come up with something. Think of cycles - carbon cycle, water cycle. Think of oscillations - tides, day/night, beginnings that are also endings. Think of things lost in antiquity: did mankind first control fire or develop weapons? Or beginning of time questions - who created the creator, what came before the big bang?

I just wanted to whine rolleyes1.gif.

you really broke it down for me though thank you!

btw-my husband was making suggestions and he gave me one and before he could finish it I said "boring!"
    and he said "what are you Anna Wintour?" lol...stuck big time--but thank you for the suggestions--mulling it over.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    get out of town!

... this is where I learned EVERYTHING I know about photography to date.

I second that.

When I entered my first challenge (almost 2 years ago), I thought post processing was cheating. I had no idea how to convert a photo to black and white. I had never tried lighting with anything other than my camera's flash.

I still shoot with a super zoom camera and use Photoshop Elements or freeware to do PP. And I use flashlights for my lighting. :) My budget is very small. I want to be ready when it increases.

Stay and learn with us.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011

I agree with WhatSheSaw & lizzard_nyc - my first challenge was about a year ago & I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from this forum. The people here are very helpful - many responses are specific and help to guide you to improving your shot. Plus most of the photos for the challenges are ones that I never would have even considered otherwise & I have gotten some very special photo memories from them. It's a great way to learn & grow your photographic abilities!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Sherstone -- I have a rules question.

In this post, I've got a photo that I made as an overlay of a photo I took with an "image" of the cosmic microwave background from space. The latter is not really a photo, and I so I didn't take it (but my brother did, with a balloon instrument in antarctica!). Is that legal? If not, is there any way to do what I'm trying to do, and still be legal?
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Is that legal? If not, is there any way to do what I'm trying to do, and still be legal?

Short answer is a no.

Longer answer = 1. it's not your photo or image, 2. No exif info, 3. Was it taken during this rounds time frame? I'm guessing no so this too is a third hit against it. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Short answer is a no.

I was afraid of that. Still, the challenge got me playing with the idea and with photoshop, so that's a win in itself! :D

So, is it true then that in a composite picture, you can use *only* photos that you have taken yourself? For example, you can't use photoshop to add text, or draw something, or add shapes, or colored background?

Yes, it's nitpicky, and honestly I don't really care. Never let the challenge distract you from the goal: getting better at photography!

Thanks!
    -Brian

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Never let the challenge distract you from the goal: getting better at photography!

You said it. These challenges are about photography. In some cases text has been and is allowed in the challenges, but if it takes away from the main subject "the photography" then it is not recommended. Drawing or creating elements in a photo editing or drawing application has been done in the past and will be accepted if the photography is still the main focus.

Anything that is used must be created within the two week challenge time period and it must be created by you not another artist. If something is created from scratch it must be specified how. Any photo or image must have EXIF information available to prove that it was created during the challenge time period. This includes textures or other small elements that are used in the creation of composites.

Each situation is unique and therefore when in doubt it is of value to ask. thumb.gif
  • Options
    alexis559alexis559 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Thanks for the encouraging words.... Still intimidated... That said, I'll enjoy the photos.........
    get out of town!

My first entry still makes me laugh--hard.

I am a member of flickr etc. but this is where I learned EVERYTHING I know about photography to date.

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Whoops.... wrong thread.
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the encouraging words.... Still intimidated... That said, I'll enjoy the photos.........

It's easy to be intimidated on this site - there are so many great photographers here. Don't just enjoy the photos, go to some of the themed discussions and post some photos too - ask for critique and what you might do to get a better shot next time.

Try picking a subject that is easy to reshoot, and go back after the critique to incorporate some of the advice you receive.

I've checked out some of the other forums and DGrin is one of the most active and friendly that I've come across.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    I can't decide which picture I want to use. I took some pictures in the Monkey house at the zoo, but they wouldn't let my husband bring his apple in to complete the picture...blah.
    but I entered this one..
    276crop.jpg
    But I kinda like this one, because it has my son, his father, and if you believe in evolution...his ancestors...rolleyes1.gif
    which one should I roll with?
    DSC_0277.JPG
    thanks,
    A.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)