Options

Jenny & Pat ::esession:: at the reading terminal market

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 26, 2011 in Weddings
Must shoot at a thriving marketplace again for an esession!

blogged. You should check it out, more stuff there and ... lots of tasty treats.. mmm chocolate.

1257516202_qBpqSGS-L-1.jpg

1257516271_fmzrKtV-L-2.jpg
1257516472_9vRHRdc-L-2.jpg

1257516672_FPL6Fvr-L-1.jpg

1257528110_njMmcZx-L-2.jpg
I cropped this, but the export didn't get the quick edit. so I am reexporting this one.
1257517320_N9xnhZ4-L-1.jpg
Some subway action.

1257517607_w66msvH-L-1.jpg
Might crop this one too.

1257527691_48pMg8K-L-1.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    With a tighter crop:

1257528110_njMmcZx-L-3.jpg

I am gonna crop the shadow one and see how that looks.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    I love this Ted - you're style is infused here. I hope you know you're making me work hard to to come up with ideas!

1. I love the leading line son the left, but the composition in mixed. Simplicity on the left, tangled wires are background on the right. Keep their heads in a clean place - watch the exit sign. Two ideas - maybe shoot at a shallower DOF to loose some of the background AND/OR include more of the window reflect to mirror the craziness in the background (leaving them peaceful in the middle of a crazy world). That being said, I'm not sure how much more you could have done in this environment.

2. I would probably photochop out the blondes head behind them. I also might tilt it a few degree to the right to help balance that bottom line (not too much though). Maybe a B&W conversion? Maybe not...

3. Maybe a little tighter crop to remove the light on the top of the frame and bring it more in on them? (again) maybe not... It actually kinda looks like a theater set with the light and baskets hanging up there - very cool. Hmmm...

4. The tonality from top to bottom here is not what we are used to - bright on the bottom, dark on the top. In LR run a darkening gradient over the apples in the bottom of the frame. It will REALLY help direct your eyes to the couple (and off of the hot spots on the apples). This might even need to go pano by chopping some of the bottom of the frame.

5 and Re5. Tilt it a few degrees to the left to straighten out the chairs. They are so dominate that they should determine what is vertical.

6. If I took this (and that's the thing I didn't) I would recrop it so that his right arm & the arm rail on his left are gone and they are on the right 1/3 of the frame but probably still keep the pano. You made it super intense and just about them with the lighting, do the same with the composition.

7. I think that the unshaded ground could go a little bit darker to pick up more of a gritty vibe. The difficult part of this frame is the left 1/3 which has no shadows. The viewers eyes are drawn to the brightest part of the picture and work over to the couples shadow from there.... but the brightest part doesn't really offer anything. Still I love the concept and that you were smarter than me by including some other shadows in the first place.

8. Cool moment, not as artistic as the other (but not in a bad way). To me this shot is the yin to the rest of the photos yang (or is it the other way ?). A great balance of personality and art.

Ted as I said before this is good stuff. I love all the little reflections and foreground elements that you are throwing in these photos. Solid posing too!
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    Shooting in a packed market like this is pretty challenging to be honest. But overall I think I did pretty good.

When I get home I will do some angling on the chair image and try a vertical crop on the shadow to keep the balance of the shadow from the tree and with them in it.

#6, I can't do to much as, it is almost SOOC. The only crop I did was on top. So I uh... chopped his arm. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the words, Pat!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    Shooting in a packed market like this is pretty challenging to be honest. But overall I think I did pretty good.

Very much agreed. I can only imagine the craziness of what was going on around you.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    Very much agreed. I can only imagine the craziness of what was going on around you.

That said.. I think you should give shooting in a full marketplace a try!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Those mangoes are making me hungry.

good stuff ted.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    Those mangoes are making me hungry.

good stuff ted.

Two for the price of one! I loaded with whatever space I had left of my camera bag with three bags of dark chocolate espresso beans, cheese, mangos (obviously) and some chocolate. And let me tell you. That bag with my 1d3, 5d2, 35, 135, and flash was heavy. Really heavy!

Thanks, Nicole! Doing some little fixes to the set right now.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    1257517631_vZrtN5x-L-4.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    I think it's a stronger image (and it's always hard to get a good square crop too!). The shadows make a nice abstract diagonal divide in the frame while the viewers eyes take it all in, only to find the couple.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    I think it's a stronger image (and it's always hard to get a good square crop too!). The shadows make a nice abstract diagonal divide in the frame while the viewers eyes take it all in, only to find the couple.

what he said 15524779-Ti.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    I can't wait to photograph their wedding.

I blew some highlights, but, this image is priceless:

1257515310_FHLmBJM-L-4.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    ^^^ So awesome. That's real excitement there - not the "okay stand over here and look happy to be with each other" stuff. Way cool.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Love them. And it's always a terrific education to read Pat's critiques.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    Love them. And it's always a terrific education to read Pat's critiques.

Yep! That's why Pat's pretty awesome.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    The only one I don't dig is 6...the flash placement is just...not good with backlight and the shoulder flair and the translucent noses...just not doin it.
    8 looks like it was a little affected, but maybe it is just them. 3 is my favorite, but I think it would be stronger if more posed...she is looking dead on, he looks like he may have dropped his keys. Their body positions are "American Gothic" in the market, and I think that is way cool and really works. All of you sneaky peepy show, shooting through things are very nice but I think 2 would be stronger as a monochrome. I love shooting people's weddings who are comfortable with their (and my) geekdom, they are my people and these seem like them....you'll all have fun.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    3. I like your work, but what's the tie to the cabbage department...no better place to go...hmmm...his family own it...they work there? Your number three really doesn't reflect enough emotion to be an engagement shoot image...he's off somewhere daydreaming...she has an emotionless, deadpan look right at the camera, actually off to camera right. Nice image...but...well, you look at it. And, you might want to take a look at his right hand, camera left...looks sort of unusual.

1. Your number one...and I know that you like the peek-a-boo look, but that big red blob on the left of the image...not digging it. It also looks very staged...and what are they doing...that would lead him to suddenly kiss her on the head as she once again looks right at the camera...no emotion...smileless.

2. On the other hand...really like the between the blinds image...nice touch. Look at the emotion that you captured in this image...she is happy to be with him and she does have a very pretty smile. Good capture. More like this one.

4. Again...looks very staged...and the forefront...very distracting. The pears, or whatever, are too bright...at least for me.

5. I like the genuine emotion here...not much to say about the distracting upside down chairs...but this image looks like it shows two people in love.

6. This one, I like...some didn't, but I do. I won't tinker with your light placement, or intensity. Could it have been better, couldn't everything...so, I'll leave it at that.

7. I like your concept here...just don't like the competing shadow monster in the camera left foreground. First you discover the neat kissing shadow from your subjects, then your eye inevitably drifts to the shadow puzzle piece.

8. I like this one...nice...caught the emotion...life style shot. Very nice.

I also really like the library image...nice capture.

The above is my opinion...obviously everyone has one...others will differ.

My suggestion...more images like number 8...it really captures their personality, happiness, and has the woohoo factor. Of course images need to be good captures, but I rather tend to judge images on whether they capture what the client is paying for...photos that show what their life is all about. Therefore, I tend to like e-shoots where there are less head shots and more personal interactivity and meaningful background shots...with them living...playing...hanging out...etc.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing more or your work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed